Web site allows students to make friends in the crowd

(U-WIRE) STANFORD, Calif. – Classes are being skipped. Work is being ignored. Students are spending hours in front of their computers in utter fascination. Thefacebook.com craze has swept through campus.

As of publishing time, there were over 2,981 Stanford University students registered on the newly launched http://www.thefacebook.com.

Modeled after social networking Web sites like Friendster.com, this site provides Stanford students with a network of their peers. Students post and browse pictures of themselves along with brief descriptions of anything from gender and year in school to music, movie tastes and relationship status.

The site was created by Harvard University sophomore Mark Zuckerberg. A double major in computer science and psychology, Zuckerberg wrote all of the code for the site by himself in one week.

“There has been a bunch of hype at Harvard for the last few months about the administration putting together an online facebook for everyone in the school,” Zuckerberg said. “I got tired of waiting for them to finally put it up, so I just threw this site together myself.”

He launched the site on Feb. 6 at Harvard, Feb. 25 at Columbia University, Feb. 26 at Stanford and Feb. 29 at Yale University. Zuckerberg picked schools where the site would generate a good response. He told a few of his friends at each of these schools to tell their friends about it, and the rest is history.

More than 7,000 people have signed up in less than a month at Harvard, including 85 percent of the school’s undergraduates. There have been over 1.5 million profile views. In less than a week at Stanford, users have viewed profiles almost 267,000 times. There are over 10,000 users registered at the four schools combined.

Zuckerberg wants to build a huge network throughout many schools. The next schools on his list are Cornell and Dartmouth, whose sites should be up by tomorrow.

“I know it sounds corny, but I’d love to improve people’s lives, especially socially,” Zuckerberg said.

It is costing Zuckerberg $85 per month to rent the server, with the money coming out of his own pocket. There are no immediate plans for recuperating the start-up costs.

“In the future we may sell ads to get the money back, but since providing the service is so cheap, we may choose to not do that for a while,” Zuckerberg said.

Some students are resisting thefacebook.com craze, calling it a waste of time.

“It’s a system designed for people who feel insecure and need to numerically quantify their friends,” said Stanford senior Alejandro Foung.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...