NEWS BRIEFS

‘Cane Records launches newly designed website

Check out the new website design of ‘Cane Records, UM’s student-run record label. Find out where to buy CDs, obtain information about UM recording artists and learn about Cane Records’ current and previous projects at http://www.canerecords.com.

Dune Shack seeks writers

Get your creative juices flowing! Dune Shack, UM’s creative writing E-zine, is accepting email submissions. Poetry may be up to five pages/poems, fiction up to 10 pages and art/photos up to five images. Deadline for submissions is Mar. 12. Email theduneshack@yahoo.com for more details.

PAD auctions prep courses

Going once. Going twice. Sold! This week in the UC Breezeway, Phi Alpha Delta will be holding a silent auction for a Princeton Review class, good for any graduate prep course (i.e. LSAT, MCAT, GMAT, etc.). The classes usually go for $1,100 and bidding starts at $300. If you cannot make it to the table, email padmiami@hotmail.com with subject “Silent Bid Auction,” along with your name, bid amount and telephone number. Bidding begins at 11 a.m. Mar. 8 and ends promptly at 3 p.m. Mar. 12.

Cooking classes start soon

The Wellness Center is offering healthy cooking classes in American, Mexican, Asian, French and Caribbean cuisines. Classes are held every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. from Mar. 24 through Apr. 28. Enroll for the entire series for $140 [a $35 savings]or $25 per class. Each class consists of an overview and instruction on how to prepare a combination of appetizer, entre and/or dessert. Advance registration is required. Visit http://www.miami.edu/wellness and click on Wellness Programs, then Cooking Demonstrations, for the schedule of classes. For more information, call the Wellness Suite at 305-284-LIFE.

Before Night Falls now showing at Casa Bacardi

Come down to Casa Bacardi for Before Night Falls, the movie for March. Before Night Falls is a journey through the life and work of the late Cuban poet Reinaldo Arenas, who endured unspeakable persecution in a courageous stand against censorship and oppression. Showings are daily at 2:30 p.m., and entrance is free to all UM students, faculty and staff. For more information call 305-284-CUBA [2822]. Casa Bacardi is open Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday/Sunday from 2 to 5 p.m.

Library offers online help

In cooperation with the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries, the Otto G. Richter Library will be offering online chat reference assistance 82 hours per week. Ask-A-Librarian uses instant messaging to contact librarians at ASERL libraries who help patrons search databases and find answers to their questions quickly and easily. Chat reference assistance is available during the following hours:

Monday-Thursday 8 a.m. – 9 p.m.

Friday 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.

Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Sunday 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.

For more information about the Ask-A-Librarian project, contact Carrie Leslie at 305-284-4042 or at cleslie@miami.edu. Ask-A Librarian can be found at http://www.library.miami.edu/Questionpoint/patronchat2.htm.

The Ibis yearbook is in need of writers. The theme of the book this year is school spirit, and they want to include as many voices and reactions as possible in the book. The Ibis covers anything and everything that takes place on campus, and even things off campus, like summer blockbusters, or the World Series. Everyone is encouraged to submit their stories, even if they think it’s not something that would be included. The stories are usually 250 through 300 words, but it is also okay if the articles are more, as that is something that can be worked with. There are plenty of assignments that need to be covered, and stories that are printed in the yearbook are considered published work, so it looks great on resumes! The Ibis yearbook wins awards every year, why not be a part of it? All quotes and stories can be sent to ibiswriter@hotmail.com or dropped off at the yearbook office in the UC 229. Include your name, year, and an e-mail address.

The Miami Hurricanes football team hosted the 2017 Football Awards Show at Gusman Hall on the Univer ...