CD REVIEW Truama and Drama Can’t stop them

Much like the phoenix born again from its own ashes, The Living End has resurrected itself from the depths of adversity. With its most recent release MODERN ARTillery, the Australian band proves it’s back in the public eye and ready to perform.

The trio, composed of guitarist/vocalist Chris Cheney, bassist/vocalist Scott Owen and new drummer Andy Strachan, reflects upon this theme in its song “Rising Up from the Ashes.” This, along with the album’s remaining 13 songs, is a mix of fast paced punk and rock and roll.

Lyrically reminiscent of a mature Blink 182 and vocally suggestive of Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong, the Melbourne-based band presents its newest material under recording label Reprise Records.

Formed a decade ago Down Under, The Living End shot to success almost overnight in 1998 with the overwhelming response to its single “Prisoner of Society/Second Solution.” Two albums and tours across Australia, Asia, Europe and the United States followed. In 2001, injuries Cheney sustained in a car accident prevented the band from traveling and recording. Then, the drummer quit. MODERN ARTillery is the group’s reintroduction to its fans and the world.

The Living End stretches its style and deviates from its usual rhythm in a few tracks. “So What” stands out with its slower country twang. “In the End” is a throwback to true classic rock sounds. “The Room,” a winding, eight-minute roller coaster of melodies and vocals, concludes the album with a flourish.

The first song – “What Would You Do?” – seems to be a misplaced, poor introduction to the rest of the collection. With its powerful, politically charged lyrics and catchy chorus, “Who’s Gonna Save Us?” would have been a better choice. In the end, whether the question is answered or the band is saved, The Living End delivers.

Rachel Luhta can be contacted at r.luhta@umiami.edu.

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team will host FGCU for its annual Senior Day meet on ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record its 750th all-time ...