Spring break courses open

Still need to pick up three credits this spring term? There is still time to register for a three-credit Spring Break course. Break your barriers with explorations in creativity, learn more about tough issues like drug abuse and HIV, launch a high tech business or take advantage of a rare opportunity to study lemurs. For more information or to register, email, call 305-284-4411 or visit

Who to call for information

Medicare and billing concerns? Address questions to Third Party Reimbursement/Office of Compliance at 305-243-HELP or 877-415-HELP. For information about this help line or training programs offered by the compliance office, contact Gemma Romillo at 305-243-5842. Research integrity concerns? Report concerns regarding research integrity and adherence to federal or University regulations directly to the Office of the Vice Provost for Research at 305-243-6415, or you can call the University’s toll-free compliance hotline at 866-YOURCALL.

It’s Athletic Training month

The month of March is National Athletic Training Month. The theme this year is “Injury Treatment: Early Care Speeds Recovery.” Look for athletic training students in the UC Breezeway during this month to learn more about the athletic training major offered through the School of Education. For more information, visit

Nomination forms out for 2004 Laurel Awards
The 2004 Laurel Awards provides you with the opportunity to nominate an outstanding Student Affairs employee. This award can be given to a full time staff member or student within the Student Affairs division. Information and nomination forms are available at all Student Affairs Offices. Forms are also available at our website Nomination forms are due by March 26, and are to be submitted to: Ali Rodriguez.
Email, Fax: Toppel Career Center 305-284-3668 Locator Code 6930

Football schedule changed

In response to requests from fans and with the cooperation of the Atlantic Coast Conference and opponent schools, the ‘Canes have changed the 2004 football schedule to avoid any conflicts with the Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah holidays. The home game against Louisiana Tech has been moved from Saturday, Oct. 16, to Saturday, Sep. 18, and the home contest against Louisville has been moved from Thursday, Sep. 16, to Thursday, Oct. 14. All dates remain tentative and subject to change, and game times have yet to be announced. Family Weekend, originally scheduled for the Oct. 16 game, will now be held in the spring semester 2005.

A “who’s who” of UM School of Communication alumni working in various aspects of the communications field will return to campus for the fifth annual Communication Week. With the exception of the Newspaper Design Workshop planned for February 27 and 28, all events are free and open to the public. “Alumni will team up with faculty for discussions on issues that interest communicators in all professions,” said Associate Dean Robert Hosmon. For more information, contact Margot Winick at or at 305-284-5500.

The University of Miami School of Law Entertainment and Sports Law Society presents their 7th Annual Entertainment and Sports Law Symposium Friday and Saturday March 5-6, 2004 at the University of Miami Coral Gables Campus Law. This two-day event will be filled with panel discussions led by noted attorneys and leaders in the sports and entertainment fields, along with lectures from some of the brightest minds in the business. The event will provide networking opportunities for all to enjoy. Cost is $20 for UM Students, $30 for any Non-UM Student, or $70 for all others. For additional information please contact Tania at, visit, or call (305) 284-6887.

The deadline for submission of abstracts for the Graduate Student Association’s Research & Creativity Forum is March 5. For more information, go online to

The Ibis yearbook is in need of writers. The theme of the book this year is school spirit, and they want to include as many voices and reactions as possible in the book. The Ibis covers anything and everything that takes place on campus, and even things off campus, like summer blockbusters, or the World Series. Everyone is encouraged to submit their stories, even if they think it’s not something that would be included. The stories are usually 250 through 300 words, but it is also okay if the articles are more, as that is something that can be worked with. There are plenty of assignments that need to be covered, and stories that are printed in the yearbook are considered published work, so it looks great on resumes! The Ibis yearbook wins awards every year, why not be a part of it? All quotes and stories can be sent to or dropped off at the yearbook office in the UC 229. Include your name, year, and an e-mail address.

In cooperation with the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries, the Otto G. Richter Library will be offering online chat reference assistance 82 hours per week. Ask-A-Librarian uses instant messaging to contact librarians at ASERL libraries who help patrons find answers to their questions quickly and easily and search databases. Chat reference assistance is available during the following hours:
Monday-Thursday 8 a.m. -9 p.m.
Friday 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Sunday 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
For more information about the Ask-A-Librarian project, contact Carrie Leslie at 284-4042 or at Ask-A Librarian can be found at

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...