Forums precede president debate

In preparation for UM’s hosting of the first Presidential Debate on Sep. 30, UM has brought the “University of Miami Community Forum Series” to campus.

“The fact that the Presidential Debate is happening here will bring politics home; students will finally realize that UM is as much a part of the political field as anywhere in America,” Ryan Fell, freshman, said. “If the President and his rival were visiting my home to discuss politics, I would surely attempt to be more interested in their political issues.”

Sponsored by the College of Arts & Sciences, the Institute for Public History, the League of Women Voters and the Urban Environment League, the forums are intended to bring students, local celebrities, officials and panelists together to discuss topics of local concern that may be otherwise overlooked by students.

Professor Gregory Bush, Director of UM’s Institute for Public History, will be moderating the series.

“Our forums are trying to introduce local concerns to students who seldom see them in the media and show them how a selected range of community leaders and experts respond,” Bush said.

The first series will be composed of four forums, and there are plans to continue them during late summer and fall.

Last Monday, the first of the panels, “Dumb and Dumber? The Challenge of Local News and Public Education,” discussed how local media covers community, economic and political issues.

As an education researcher, Walter Secada, panelist of the first forum, feels strongly about educating students about information that is learned through the news and how it is presented to them.

“It is not enough to say that the various local and national media are owned, and hence controlled, by very powerful conglomerates,” Secada said. “Students need to realize how that control translates into the turning of news into a product that is packed and sold.”

All forums will be held at the Wesley Center, 1210 Stanford Dr., from 7-9 p.m. For more information about the UM Community Forum Series, visit http://scholar.library.miami.edu/community_forum.

Vanessa Krause can be contacted at v.krause@umiami.edu.

NEXT FORUMS

Mar. 29: 7 – 9 p.m.

Up From Cynicism: Politics, Campaign Finance and Civic Activism in Miami-Dade County

Panelists: Carrie Meek (Former Congresswoman), Katy Sorenson (County Commissioner), Robert Sechen (General Counsel, Republican Party of Florida), Thomasina Williams, Esq., Ric Katz (political consultant, Communikatz)

Apr. 12: 7 – 9 p.m.

Getting Beyond Getting Along:Facing the Diversity of Miami-Dade’s Ethical Traditions

Joe Garcia (Exec. Dir., Cuban American National Foundation), Leonie Hermantin (Strategic Planning Director, Santla Haitian Neighborhood Center, resident of South Miami), Ken Goodman, (UM, ethicist), Cheryl Little (Florida Immigrant Advocacy Center)

9 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Forums precede president debate”

1. BireessGlonee says:

As that time at me has not risen also I has started to panic,
    there are no well you представте only еслиб has not risen
    at you, thank God that the wife has advised this preparation,
    whether I have bought 10 packs at once for a year \I advise
    also to you it to buy and that a little that everyone can happen
    Here I am direct and have bought from them appreciate after all more cheaply
    http://www.viddler.com/explore/laminator
    Be happy :)
    post.s. thi not funny spam, this is life..

2. so so travel agent airline ticket could Where sometime airlines and boston to pittsburgh .standby plane tickets flight schedules & cancellation data stuff stuff sometime .was flights to stansted The Whith above discounted airline tickets .discount air fares to iceland airlines and boston to pittsburgh Realy nice airline field support analyst jobs atlanta the need for cheap tickets from columbus so cheap europe flights to fortaleza

3. Saipscili says:

I am interested in this site, and wondered if you have recently heard of an old friend of mine Gregg Smithlander.

I am following the advice I have read at this blog about how to find person, but am not really expecting to find him.

4. How you think, in our situation whis crisis its actual?

5. Beitlefet says:

Q. Why don’t Canadians have group sex? – A. Too many thank-you letters to write afterwards.

6. kookimebux says:

Hello. And Bye. :)

7. twedymn says:

Hi. I regularly announce this forum. This is the oldest period unequivocal to ask a ridiculous.
    How numberless in this forum are references progressive behind, disingenuous users?
    Can I depute all the facts that there is?

8. chachiksin says:

he US House of Representatives has voted by 263-171 in favour of a $700bn (?380bn) plan to rescue the US financial sector.More..

9. IrrenoElaro says:

Hi, everybody!

I think, that this is a great forum. Very intresting and useful.
    But I can’t find the search function, cause I want faster find the topics that could be intresting for me to express my opinion…
    Please help me with search function on this forum!

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...