BOOK REVIEW

A Box of Matches, Nicholson Baker’s new novel is slow to start, however the novel begins to grab the reader with its monotony, describing and celebrating everyday life through the thoughts of an everyday man. The main character Emmett, is a middle aged man with a wife and two kids, who believes that his time on earth is numbered. Trying desperately to counter act the flow of time Emmett wakes up before the sun everyday and writes his thoughts in the dark, after participating in his usual ritual of making coffee and lighting a fire in the dark. Reading like a journal, Emmett’s thoughts vary in scope, covering topics such as biting into apples and having his son crawl into bed with him after having nightmares. Although the opening line of each chapter, “Good morning, its (month) and it is (time)” becomes mundane and rather dreary, Baker still manages to make every day tasks heartwarming.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...