Army ROTC has high hopes for new UM program

UM students interested in the Army Reserved Officer Training Core [ROTC] no longer have to commute to Florida International University, now that UM has created its own rigorous program that prides itself on high standards and molding leaders.

“It’s been a slow move,” said Major Albert Harris, head of UM’s Army ROTC.

Now that the program has made it to campus, it is starting out strong – especially with its $2 million budget.

The Army ROTC program offers two to three-credit classes focusing on valuable leadership skills. Interested students must be willing to endure an athletic challenge and demonstrate leadership capabilities. A good GPA is also required.

Students are given problem-solving activities that force them to think through difficult situations. Imagine trying to solve this problem: A large tank is filled with water with eight students on one side. The students must make their way across the water without falling in, using only six short boards and two floating barrels.

This activity is in conjunction with the rest of the program’s “tough training,” which is headed under the title of the Ranger Challenge Team. The “tough training” includes a three-mile run, a six-mile road march, land navigation activities and water events.

In addition to the classes offered, the Army ROTC also has a color guard team which participated in the Dec. 2003 commencement ceremonies.

Another part of Army ROTC is the exclusive Scabbard and Blade Honor Society.

As well as being given extended experience in management and leadership roles and skills, college students are also given incredible scholarship opportunities through Army ROTC.

With the large budget that has been given to the new program, the Army ROTC will award scholarships to deserving students in all academic majors. These scholarships will include $17,000 per year for tuition, $600 for books and $250 to $400 for a tax-free monthly stipend. A student may receive a scholarship for two, three or all four undergraduate years at UM.

Harris encourages student involvement from all academic majors. As with all Army ROTC endeavors, the scholarships are geared toward well-rounded students who exhibit the willingness to take on a challenge.

According to Harris, the Army ROTC is heading in the right direction.

“Basically, we hope to continue the expansion of the army cadet core, the unparalleled leadership training and the distribution of scholarships to those that meet the necessary requirements.”

For more information about the Army ROTC, contact Major Albert Harris at 305-284-3329, or visit the McArthur Building Rm. 225.

Camille Cohen can be contacted at c.cohen@umiami.edu.

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will conclude its regular season Sunday with a home d ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...