LETTER THREE TO THE EDITOR

To the Editor:

It seems yet again the majority has attempted to trample the rights of the minority. In this case, the minority appears to be four girls heading a club with limited funding. The majority appears to be four of the largest student groups at UM, four groups representing immense resources, including, but not limited to, actual UM-funded offices.

COISO, FEC, SpectrUM and UBS all blockaded the Breezeway Wednesday in protest to a small student group, Advocates for Conservative Thought [ACT]. ACT, it turns out, had planned to carry out a bake sale to protest affirmative action. Asians and whites would be charged more per cookie than blacks and other minorities. Personally, I find such a bake sale offensive. Then again, I suspect ACT would say that proves their point. While I recognize the metaphor inherent in ACT’s bake sale, that affirmative action is just as racist as their bake sale, I didn’t see the metaphor in that of the protestors. The head of UBS said, “More people show up when you give out free stuff.” I guess free cupcakes count for arguments nowadays.

Yet why did the four groups protest Wednesday, when the bake sale occurred Friday? According to UBS, a member of one of the four groups had joined ACT with the express purpose of keeping tabs on this group, leading protesters to believe the bake sale would occur Wednesday. Having also spoken with one of the presidents of ACT, this form of espionage makes me wonder how small a minority ACT really is. It would be doubly ironic if half the conservative group were actually composed of these “sleeper agents.” According to ACT, the Friday bake sale was scheduled for Wednesday, but a lack of volunteers killed the idea. I wonder…

Do I agree with ACT? Not really. Still, their free speech is their free speech. Do I agree with COISO, FEC, SpectrUM and UBS? Maybe on an ideological level, but then again, their clear disdain for a minority party in this interchange indicates a level of hypocrisy that might have me rethinking my political stance.

Name Withheld By Request

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...