LETTER ONE TO THE EDITOR

To the Editor:

As many of you may know, an Affirmative Action Bake Sale was held by Advocates for Conservative Thought on Friday; in this type of bake sale people of different races are sold the same product for different prices. The purpose of this activity is to display that affirmative action is a discriminatory policy that actually promotes inequality and racism.

To opponents that voiced their opinions to ACT during the bake sale: ACT sent out literature conveying the conservative viewpoint on affirmative action to members who volunteered to work the bake sale (so they could be aware of the general conservative position on the issue) and had no intention of distributing it during the sale. The piece wasn’t written by ACT but by a conservative author. One particular issue that has been brought up and misconstrued is the part of the author’s argument referring to the Special Olympics. In this statement the author is addressing the question of how affirmative action hurts African Americans, “Affirmative Action conveys the message to society that ‘this group is incapable of making it on its own merits.’ Racial preferences are a sort of Special Olympics for African Americans. Such preferences devalue black achievement, and they intensify doubt about black capacity.” This quote doesn’t convey the message that African Americans need special help, but rather it promotes the opposite: that African Americans can succeed based on their own qualifications.

ACT feels the bake sale promoted diversity of thought and an open dialogue about an important issue that deserves attention. ACT supports Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s dream that people in our nation will someday “not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”

Sincerely,

Advocates for Conservative Thought

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...