Elections Commission works to ensure sound process:

The backbone of Student Government [SG] elections is the Elections Commission. This 20-person team works to publicize, arrange and legitimize the entire elections process.

In the past, voter numbers have averaged the 1,000-student mark. Their aim was to increase voter turnout to 2,000 students this year, and they nearly accomplished this in last week’s elections with a turnout of 1,957 voters.

The time dedication to this cause is immense. Planning for the spring elections began in December, and during elections the commissioners were up until after 1:30 a.m. each night for trials. This year the elections were crazier, with eight presidential candidates and many student leaders in the race.

The Elections Commission is neutral, and their goal is to keep things fair – not to prosecute only certain candidates. They do not have the power to sway the election; commissioners enforce the codes by giving warnings to or writing up candidates who break the rules. The Supreme Court determines point violations, and if any candidate reaches 20 points he or she is disqualified.

Don’t forget to vote in the SG presidential runoffs. Voting continues today and tomorrow in the UC Breezeway.

SG Meetings are on Wednesdays in the UC Ballrooms from 4 to 6 p.m.

For more information visit the SG website at http://www.miami.edu/studorgs/sg.

Amy S. Lawrence can be contacted at aslawrence@umiami.edu.