CD REVIEW

On Feb 24, the mix album The Grey Album that combines The Beatles’ White Album and Jay-Z’s Black Album was downloaded over 100,000 times on various websites across the World Wide Web.

An Internet Music Reform Group called The Downhill Group sponsored what they named Grey Tuesday, an online protest of over 170 web sites that hosted the complete version of The Grey Album in response to EMI’s cease and desist order of the dissemination of the mix album.

The Downhill Group is claiming that EMI has no legal right to ban the album, since the mix album creates a new work out of the samples used and it does not interfere with sales of The White Album. Furthermore they claim that there is no federal copyright protection for sound recordings before 1972, although there are state laws. This also complicates issues, because that would mean that The Grey Album cannot be protected under Fair Use Doctrine, though any judge would probably apply the same standards to the case.

The Downhill Group is now claiming that The Grey Album was the number one album in America last week, moving more units then Norah Jones and Kane West, the top two sellers on the Billboard chart that both came in around the 100,000 mark in sales.

While the concept of this movement is groundbreaking and should be utilized by other protests, the album used is nothing of much note. As mix albums go it is fairly sub-par, mostly because of its disjointed nature at times. Danger Mouse uses the samples of such White Album songs as “Dear Prudence”, “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”, “Blackbird”, “Piggies”, “Helter Skelter”, “Revolution 1″,”Sexie Sadie”,”I Will”, and “Julia” as window dressing underneath a slight mix of The Black Album, though there was hardly much tinkering with Jay-Z’s work at all. Though “Piggie” and “Change Clothes” is fairly amusing and “While My Guitar” combined with “What More Could I Say” does almost work in creating an epic dance floor sound.

Overall however it is important to keep in mind that it is extremely difficult to remix classic tracks and albums. While this might not be on the same level as the Orb’s bootleg electronic remixes of Pink Floyd’s Animals and Wish You Were Here, which are astounding works, especially the 20 minute version of “Pigs” where Robert Mitchum’s love and hate speech from Night of the Hunter is sampled in. Regardless the importance of The Grey Album comes not from its production brilliance but from the way it has been used as a tool for reform. The approach is what is most important here.

Ross Whitsett can be contacted at r.whitsett@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...