NEWS BRIEFS

Chartwells seeks focus group student participants

Chartwells is forming a focus group of students. The group will meet on Tuesday, Mar. 2 between 4 and 6 p.m. Participants will receive a free dinner as well as 50 dining dollars upon completion of the meeting. Students must be juniors or seniors, hold a leadership position on campus and not live in the residence halls. For more information contact Toni Gallo, Marketing Manager for Chartwells at UM, at 305-284-4577 or at tgallo@miami.edu.

Outreach introduces young females to engineering

Feb. 26 marked National Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day by welcoming almost 100 female high school students to UM for the 2004 Society of Women Engineers [SWE] High School Outreach Experience, which aims to encourage girls in secondary school to get excited about the wealth of opportunities in engineering. The students were treated to breakfast with a woman engineer as speaker, a tour of the campus engineering facilities, an interactive panel discussion led by women engineering students at UM and a student competition to give everyone a light-hearted taste of the real-life process of design and creation engineers experience daily.
Library offers online help

In cooperation with the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries, the Otto G. Richter Library will be offering online chat reference assistance 82 hours per week. Ask-A-Librarian uses instant messaging to contact librarians at ASERL libraries who help patrons find answers to their questions quickly and easily and search databases.
Chat reference assistance is available during the following hours:
Monday-Thursday 8 a.m. -9 p.m.
Friday 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Sunday 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
For more information about the Ask-A-Librarian project, contact Carrie Leslie at 284-4042 or at cleslie@miami.edu. Ask-A Librarian can be found at http://www.library.miami.edu/Questionpoint/patronchat2.htm.

Field Hockey Club forms

There’s a new club on campus! Join the Field Hockey Club and help promote awareness, good sportsmanship, and teamwork. The objectives of the Field Hockey Club are to educate students about the sport and history of field hockey, develop skills, and maintain physical fitness through its practices and friendly competition. Practices are every Tuesday and Friday, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the Yaron Athletic Fields. Practices and scrimmages are open to all levels. For more information, contact Kristen Goodrich at 305-689-4199.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...