NEWS BRIEFS

New features on SG site

Under the management of a new webmaster, the UM Student Government [SG] website will be updated weekly and will contain the latest information on who is in SG, projects, Senate meeting minutes and how to get involved in SG activities and committees. In addition, the SG Constitution, once ratified, will be available on the website. Students are encouraged to check the up-to-date SG website to see what SG is doing and how to get involved. Please email any questions to studentgovernment@miami.edu.
Latin food on pre-sale

Like Latin food? The Nicaraguan Student Association is having a pre-sale for a full Latin meal [charbroiled beef, rice and beans, salad, and fried plantains]. Pay $5.50 by Feb. 27 and pick up your food in the UC on Mar. 2 starting at 12 p.m. Email um_nicas@hotmail.com or call 305-773-6588 to order.

Library to offer online help

In cooperation with the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries [ASERL], the Otto G. Richter Library will be offering online chat reference assistance 82 hours per week. Ask-A-Librarian uses instant messaging to contact librarians at ASERL libraries who help patrons find answers to their questions quickly and easily and search databases. Chat reference assistance is available during the following hours: Monday-Thursday 8 a.m. – 9 p.m., Friday 8 a.m. – 8 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. and Sunday 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. For more information about the Ask-A-Librarian project, contact Carrie Leslie at 305-284-4042 or at cleslie@miami.edu. Ask-A Librarian can be found at http://www.library.miami.edu/Questionpoint/patronchat2.htm.
NHMA awards UM Nursing

The School of Nursing and Dean Nilda Peragallo, R.N., Dr.P.H., F.A.A.N., will receive the Hispanic Health Leadership Award at the National Hispanic Medical Association’s annual conference in Washington, D.C., next month. Hispanic physicians who participated in the White House National Health Care Reform Task Force effort established the National Hispanic Medical Association [NHMA] in 1994. The mission of the NHMA is to improve health care for Hispanics and underserved communities.
New support groups at UM

The Psychological Services Center on the Coral Gables campus is starting three support groups over the next couple weeks:
* 12-week support group for overweight adults who have struggled with dieting and emotional overeating. The group will meet Tuesdays from 5 to 6:30 p.m. The cost is $120. Ask for Jamie Lewis or Jose Sandoval.
* 10-week adolescent support group for middle school girls. The cost is $120. Ask for Sara Wimberly or Jessica Valenzuela.
* Weekly coed support group for high school juniors and seniors. The cost is $40 per month. Ask for Karen Kaczynski or David Kinsigner.
For more information, call 305-284-4265, extension 0.
UM receives provisional animal care accreditation

The University has received provisional accreditation by the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care. UM joins more than 650 institutions worldwide that have demonstrated their commitment to excellence in animal care and use. All of UM’s campuses went through a rigorous review and an extensive site visit process. The University is in the process of renovating some facilities on the medical campus, and full accreditation is anticipated when these are completed.

RESEARCH REWARDED $CASH PRIZES$
The deadline for submission of abstracts for the Graduate Student Association’s Research & Creativity Forum is March 5. For more information, go online to www.miami.edu/rcf.

There’s a new club on campus! Join the Field Hockey Club and help promote awareness, good sportsmanship, and teamwork. The objectives of the Field Hockey Club are to educate students about the sport and history of field hockey, develop skills, and maintain physical fitness through its practices and friendly competition. Practices are every Tuesday and Friday, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the Yaron Athletic Fields. Practices and scrimmages are open to all levels. For more information, contact Kristen Goodrich at 305-689-4199.

Interested in being involved with the Hispanic heritage Month 2004? Advisor Ms. Nanette Vega, Assistant Director of Multicultural Student Affairs [MSA], is currently accepting applications for the executive board. For more information, please contact MSA at 305-284-2855 or at nvega@miami.edu. Don’t miss out on this great opportunity to learn more about the Hispanic culture.

The Ibis yearbook is in need of writers. The theme of the book this year is school spirit, and they want to include as many voices and reactions as possible in the book. The Ibis covers anything and everything that takes place on campus, and even things off campus, like summer blockbusters, or the World Series. Everyone is encouraged to submit their stories, even if they think it’s not something that would be included. The stories are usually 250 through 300 words, but it is also okay if the articles are more, as that is something that can be worked with. There are plenty of assignments that need to be covered, and stories that are printed in the yearbook are considered published work, so it looks great on resumes! The Ibis yearbook wins awards every year, why not be a part of it? All quotes and stories can be sent to ibiswriter@hotmail.com or dropped off at the yearbook office in the UC 229. Include your name, year, and an e-mail address.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...