Men’s tennis keeps winning streak alive at five

The men’s tennis team continued its dominant play on Sunday against in-state opponent Jacksonville. The Hurricanes are off to an unprecedented start as they improved to 5-0 with a 6-1 win over the Dolphins.

The ‘Canes took the early doubles point and never looked back, despite Jacksonville winning the second of the three doubles contests. The No. 41 doubles team of sophomores Tim Krebs and Colin Purcell defeated Ben Birkman and Christoph Mueller 8-5. Freshman Josh Cohen and Eric Hechtman defeated Andres Rojas and Peter Wietrak 8-2. John Hoyes and Jeremiah Fuller lost to Martin Hehensteiger and Neil Sehgal 8-5.

“We wanted to make sure that we didn’t look ahead of this team today because of Florida,” Head Coach Bryan Getz said. “The guys did a great job at taking care of their personal responsibilities.”

Cohen went on to win in first singles play 6-3, 6-2 and remained undefeated at the top spot on the season. Hechtman defeated Wietrak 6-1, 6-1 in the third singles spot and Purcell blanked Rojas in second singles 6-0, 6-0.

The only Miami player to lose on the day was Hoyes, who lost in a tough battle to Ben Birkmann, 7-6, 5-7 (4-10). Hoyes was down 4-1 in the second set but battled back to tie it at five apiece before dropping the final two games of the set. Krebs had a solid day, as he won in the No. 4 position against Mueller 6-4, 6-0. Fuller added a win in sixth singles competition over Neil Sehgal 6-1, 6-3.

“Everyone put in their equal [share]as there wasn’t anyone who really stood out today,” Getz said. “Eric is a gamer out there and Josh was there for us again as he has been. It was great to see our Nos. 4, 5 and 6 win today.”

With the loss, Jacksonville fell to 1-5 on the year. It was a match the Hurricanes had to win, as they are going up against the No. 7 Florida Gators in a make-up match on Wednesday after their match last Sunday was rained out.

“This was a stepping stone for us as our main goal is to beat the [expletive deleted]out of the Gators on Wednesday,” Getz said.

The ‘Canes face the Gators of Florida on Wednesday at 11 a.m. at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Douglas Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...