LETTER TO THE EDITOR Re: Editorial “Vote Vance”, Feb. 20

Re: Editorial “Vote Vance”, Feb. 20

To the editor:
Your editorial supporting the candidacy of Vance Aloupis for Student Government President has reached yet another level of unprofessional journalism. Besides the fact that a newspaper’s endorsement violates its role as an objective source of information, the statements made about the candidates in this particular editorial are based more on one person’s or one group’s perception of the candidates than on their platforms and proposals. I find the description of Don Donelson as someone who “comes across as an angry ivy-league reject” to be insulting to the candidate and to the entire student body. My perception is that if The Miami Hurricane can insult a candidate, it can insult any UM student. It is not the role of The Miami Hurricane to publish anything that will degrade a candidate. The editorial criticizes Chris Clark, Carlos Echeverri and Billy Bludgus, saying that experience in Student Government alone does not make them prepared to take over the presidency. Then why does the editor also criticize Don Donelson and Scott Wacholtz for not having Student Government experience? I would also like to know if anyone on the editorial board has proof that Peter Maki has been “delegating responsibility within his fraternity.” Although I have the utmost respect for Vance Aloupis and all of the Student Government candidates, it seems that these attacks on behalf of The Miami Hurricane may have been motivated by some hidden agenda. I strongly urge The Miami Hurricane to practice journalistic professionalism when writing future editorials.

Daniel I. Pedreira
Sophomore

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...