‘Canes shutout So. Alabama

The women’s tennis team faced an uphill battle against the South Alabama Jaguars this past Friday. The Hurricanes were able to prove that determination conquers all, however, and improved their record to 4-0 with a 7-0 victory.

For the No. 37 Jaguars, their defeat at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center drops them to 4-3 overall.

The doubles matches were won in a dynamic fashion, giving the Hurricanes an early 1-0 lead over the Jaguars. The duo of No. 97 Melissa Applebaum and No. 11 Megan Bradley combined their strength and agility to defeat No. 85 Katarina Palenikova and Ana Rupic 8-1. The tandem needed a doubles victory after losing against Alabama. Audrey Banada and Mari Toro rallied for critical points, resulting in the defeat of Dominika Nemcovicova and Merlieke Jager 8-3. Sihem Bennacer and Sara Robbins’ hard work paid off against Klara Jarova and Andrea Kurekova, leading to an impressive 8-6 win.

The singles matches were marked by fierce competition from each competitor. Bradley overcame several controversial calls in her match against Kurekova to win 6-4, 6-1.

After losing her previous singles match, Toro dueled with Palenikova for some spectacular points in their contest. Toro placed her shots at opposite ends of the court, surprising Palenikova, and resulting in a 6-2, 6-2 win. Freshman Audrey Banada played impressive tennis, clinching the match for the Hurricanes. Despite being a little tense, Banada was able to top Jarova in a 6-3, 7-5 win.

“I was a little shaky, but I pulled it [off]. I didn’t feel I had a rhythm but I was able to keep my composure,” Banada said. “It’s all really about working hard.”

Bennacer had some trouble in the second set of her match, but her determination in the third set led to the defeat of her opponent Rupic 6-4,1-6, 6-4. Staci Stevens had a rough start against Nemcovicova, losing the first set, but she came back in the second and third sets to win 3-6, 6-4, 6-3.

Applebaum’s singles match started well against Jager, but she let a straight-set victory opportunity slip away in the second set. In the third set Applebaum’s rallied for a 6-2, 5-7, 7-5 win.

“From this match I learned that you’re going to have great days, you’re going to have bad days, you’re going to have OK days, and no matter what you do, you have to walk away with that knowing that you put your heart into it,” Applebaum said.

The No. 22 Hurricanes will be on the road this week as they prepare to take on No.11 Harvard on Thursday at 2 p.m.

Antoinette Crdova can be contacted at a.cordova1@umiami.edu

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...