Toro takes one for the team

Senior Mari Toro’s days at the University of Miami may be coming to an end soon, but her time here has been an experience she will surely miss.

Toro, a 5′ 9″ singles player on the women’s tennis team, was born here in Miami. She is double majoring in broadcasting and Spanish, including a minor in sports management. She began playing tennis at the age of five, because her dad wanted to pass to her his love for the game. Today, she is a confident, mature, and motivated person whose traits have made her an accomplished tennis player and an above average student.

Before attending the University of Miami, Toro spent time playing in professional tournaments and for Florida International University for a year. She walked on to the women’s tennis team at FIU, and immediately moved up the ranks to the top two singles positions.

After a stellar year at FIU, Toro transferred to Miami, where she made another immediate impact.

“In Mari’s first year here she had some big shoes to fill and did a great job,” Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk said.

Playing at the No 1 position, Toro led the team to the Big East title and was named the conference’s Most Valuable Player. Ranked No. 59 for singles and No. 55 for doubles, she finished her first year at Miami with a 24-10 overall record

Toro’s tenure with the Hurricanes hasn’t always gone smoothly, however. During her junior year she was asked to assume a different role at the third and fourth singles positions. It was tough for Toro but served as a learning experience, as she battled through a shoulder injury.

Toro has always been a leader on the team, whether it has been with her performance on the court or with her academic standing off it. According to Yaroshuk, Toro is the vocal leader on the team. When she tells her teammates to jump, they ask how high, and when she says run, they ask how hard.

Toro has been able to consistently attain a 3.0 G.P.A. Her academic success is something she has been able to motivate her teammates with. Her success in inspiring her teammates didn’t come easily, but it has paid dividends for the entire squad.

This year Toro is as healthy and positive as ever. Her goals this year are to reach the Sweet 16, improve her footwork, and maintain a consistent level of ferocity throughout her matches. Yaroshuk has known her now for three years as her coach. In those years she has found her to be a smart, passionate, fierce, and savvy warrior.

“Nobody walks on Mari Toro,” Yaroshuk said. “She has the heart of a champion.”

Toro is undecided about her future plans, but those who know her can be sure that whatever it is she decides to do will lead to success.

“I’m honored to have come here and played tennis,” Toro said. “I’m going to miss it.”

Kevin Michaelan can be contacted at k.michaelan@umiami.edu.

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...