Hurricanes dispose of FAMU Rattlers

The men’s tennis team continued its stellar early season play with a rout of in-state foe Florida A&M 7-0 on Saturday afternoon.

The No. 34 Hurricanes improved to 4-0 on the year while the Rattlers of FAMU fell to 3-3. Miami had the match wrapped up from the very beginning as it took the doubles point and never looked back. At No. 1 doubles, the No. 41 pair of sophomores Tim Krebs and Colin Purcell defeated Pfungwa Mahefeu and Yves Sinson 8-5. The ‘Canes went on to take the other two doubles matches as well, both ending with scores of 8-2.

The Hurricanes maintained their high level of play as they took all of the singles match-ups in straight sets.

Freshman Josh Cohen continued his dominance at No. 1 singles as he won his match 6-3, 6-1. Cohen has yet to lose in his first year as a ‘Cane. Sophomore John Hoyes, the hero from last week’s match against South Florida, beat Davin Russell 6-1, 6-1. Sophomore Eric Hechtman won at third singles 6-2, 6-2 over Zurab Zhvania. Tim Krebs won at fourth singles by the same score of 6-2, 6-2 over Yves Sinson. At fifth singles, Colin Purcell beat Frank Green 6-1, 6-2. At sixth singles, Jeremiah Fuller overcame a difficult first set to top Jarrel Williams 6-3, 6-1.

The ‘Canes were set to square off at noon on Sunday against the No. 7 Florida Gators, but morning rain postponed the match until Feb. 25 at 11 am. Last year in Gainesville, the Gators handed Miami its first loss of the year, 6-1. A win over Florida would help earn the Hurricanes national prominence and improve their overall ranking.

On Sunday, the Hurricanes will face off against another in-state rival as they host Jacksonville at noon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Douglas Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...