Hurricanes dispose of FAMU Rattlers

The men’s tennis team continued its stellar early season play with a rout of in-state foe Florida A&M 7-0 on Saturday afternoon.

The No. 34 Hurricanes improved to 4-0 on the year while the Rattlers of FAMU fell to 3-3. Miami had the match wrapped up from the very beginning as it took the doubles point and never looked back. At No. 1 doubles, the No. 41 pair of sophomores Tim Krebs and Colin Purcell defeated Pfungwa Mahefeu and Yves Sinson 8-5. The ‘Canes went on to take the other two doubles matches as well, both ending with scores of 8-2.

The Hurricanes maintained their high level of play as they took all of the singles match-ups in straight sets.

Freshman Josh Cohen continued his dominance at No. 1 singles as he won his match 6-3, 6-1. Cohen has yet to lose in his first year as a ‘Cane. Sophomore John Hoyes, the hero from last week’s match against South Florida, beat Davin Russell 6-1, 6-1. Sophomore Eric Hechtman won at third singles 6-2, 6-2 over Zurab Zhvania. Tim Krebs won at fourth singles by the same score of 6-2, 6-2 over Yves Sinson. At fifth singles, Colin Purcell beat Frank Green 6-1, 6-2. At sixth singles, Jeremiah Fuller overcame a difficult first set to top Jarrel Williams 6-3, 6-1.

The ‘Canes were set to square off at noon on Sunday against the No. 7 Florida Gators, but morning rain postponed the match until Feb. 25 at 11 am. Last year in Gainesville, the Gators handed Miami its first loss of the year, 6-1. A win over Florida would help earn the Hurricanes national prominence and improve their overall ranking.

On Sunday, the Hurricanes will face off against another in-state rival as they host Jacksonville at noon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Douglas Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

The Miami women's tennis team split its eight matches on its second day of competition at the I ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...