New Kid on the Block

This past Friday night, Miami’s elite gathered behind red velvet ropes awaiting the opening of State’s opaque double doors. This invitation-only premiere boasted Miami’s eminent alongside the Beach’s distinguished and reputable in all that is fashion, music, entertainment, nightlife and the arts.

Sharing a sidewalk with known spot Rumi, State is located on 320 Lincoln Road, giving way to its 12,000 square feet of sumptuous velvet lounges, three bars, two floors, and one lavish, bravura chandelier dangling from the vaulted ceiling.

Past the opaque doors, the foyer models an Ocean Drive magazine cover poster, welcoming guests as the host of the party. Models clad in period style reminiscent of the 1700’s pranced throughout the night to the rhythm of the music. The soiree started off with retro soul hits mixed such as Michael Jackson and Barry White and made its way till the after hours with European house beats, hip-hop and R&B playing in the Goldbar. State’s lineup includes the Thursday Night Party with music by Mark Levanthal & Juan Mejia, Fridays with music by Nicky Scanni, Pierre Zonzon & Chilly, Saturdays with music by Ivano Bellini, Pierre Zonzon & GiGi, and Sundays L’hip-hop c’est CHIC featuring Radamas spinning R&B, Hip Hop and Rock N’Roll with DBJ in the Goldbar.

This discotheque not only caters to the music enthused and society pages, but also to the art scene, showcasing mannequins clothed in fashion garments along with pieces of art distributed throughout, though mainly amassing in “the gallery” around the main dance floor upstairs.

Friday night’s gathering gave way, namely, to this metropolis’ older socialites, distinctive to an invitation-only celebration. But don’t be mistaken – plenty of young partygoers could be seen carousing in their mini skirts, stilettos, shirts and ties with a trustworthy drink in hand.

This new locale will attract all, from the attention starved [Paris, of course] to the been-there done-that clubber seeking a revitalized outlet to the monotony and ennui of SoBe nightlife. See for yourself and you decide if State’s happenin’.

Christie Asencio can be contacted at c.asencio@umiami.edu.

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...