New Kid on the Block

This past Friday night, Miami’s elite gathered behind red velvet ropes awaiting the opening of State’s opaque double doors. This invitation-only premiere boasted Miami’s eminent alongside the Beach’s distinguished and reputable in all that is fashion, music, entertainment, nightlife and the arts.

Sharing a sidewalk with known spot Rumi, State is located on 320 Lincoln Road, giving way to its 12,000 square feet of sumptuous velvet lounges, three bars, two floors, and one lavish, bravura chandelier dangling from the vaulted ceiling.

Past the opaque doors, the foyer models an Ocean Drive magazine cover poster, welcoming guests as the host of the party. Models clad in period style reminiscent of the 1700’s pranced throughout the night to the rhythm of the music. The soiree started off with retro soul hits mixed such as Michael Jackson and Barry White and made its way till the after hours with European house beats, hip-hop and R&B playing in the Goldbar. State’s lineup includes the Thursday Night Party with music by Mark Levanthal & Juan Mejia, Fridays with music by Nicky Scanni, Pierre Zonzon & Chilly, Saturdays with music by Ivano Bellini, Pierre Zonzon & GiGi, and Sundays L’hip-hop c’est CHIC featuring Radamas spinning R&B, Hip Hop and Rock N’Roll with DBJ in the Goldbar.

This discotheque not only caters to the music enthused and society pages, but also to the art scene, showcasing mannequins clothed in fashion garments along with pieces of art distributed throughout, though mainly amassing in “the gallery” around the main dance floor upstairs.

Friday night’s gathering gave way, namely, to this metropolis’ older socialites, distinctive to an invitation-only celebration. But don’t be mistaken – plenty of young partygoers could be seen carousing in their mini skirts, stilettos, shirts and ties with a trustworthy drink in hand.

This new locale will attract all, from the attention starved [Paris, of course] to the been-there done-that clubber seeking a revitalized outlet to the monotony and ennui of SoBe nightlife. See for yourself and you decide if State’s happenin’.

Christie Asencio can be contacted at c.asencio@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...