Hoyes comes through with clutch victory for Hurricanes

With the entire match on the line for the No.35 Hurricanes, John “Shauny” Hoyes II was able to outlast Federico Barton in a tough three-set contest that allowed the ‘Canes to upset the No. 34 University of South Florida 4-3.

Hoyes, who played No.2 singles, lost the first set but was able to come back and win 4-6, 6-0, 7-5. In the final set with the two teams tied at three matches apiece, Hoyes was down 5-3 but with the crowd’s support he managed to tie the set. In a long match point, Barton toppled over with a leg cramp ending the match.

“I just started to figure out his patterns,” Hoyes said. “His backhand slice kept floating so I kept hitting to his backhand and then I would come in and put the ball away.”

In another three-set match freshman Josh Cohen defeated Uli Kiendl in No.1 singles competition 6-2, 3-6, 6-2. Both players hit hard and consistent groundstrokes throughout the match. Cohen made a few difficult saves by digging deep and even hitting a winner off of Kiendl’s overhead.

Cohen credited the win to his ability to stay calm and to play all-around solid tennis. He said Kiendl’s weakness was a lack mental toughness and getting aggravated.

“I’m happy Josh got through this match. Uli is a very good player,” Head Coach Bryan Getz said.

No.3 singles Eric Hechtman defeated Renato Silveira 7-6 (8-6), 6-3.

No.4 singles Tim Krebs lost to Andres Maroldt 6-7 (5-7), 6-1. Krebs and Maroldt are both from Germany, and Krebs said that it is more relaxing to play another German because they conceal their emotions well.

“He didn’t miss any balls; he played smarter,” Krebs said. “I couldn’t hit one backhand.”

No.5 singles Colin Purcell lost to Juan Barragan 6-4, 6-1. Purcell was down 0-5 in the first set but he managed to win a couple of games.

No.6 singles Jeremiah Fuller was defeated by Matias Sigal in straight sets 6-4, 6-1.

The ‘Canes were able to win all three doubles matches. No. 1 doubles Purcell and Krebs defeated Kiendl and Silveira of USF 8-4

“It was the best doubles the team has played,” Krebs said. “Everybody played well.”

Hoyes and Fuller beat Sigal and Maroldt in second doubles 8-5. Cohen and Hechtman beat Barragan and Barton 8-3, ending the doubles competition with a solid performance from the ‘Canes.

The drop shots for both teams were ineffective because they either did not make it over the net or they set up a winner for the opponent. The Hurricanes lost several points by assuming that a ball was going out when in fact the ball would land in bounds.

“When we play them [USF] it’s always a battle; it’s always tight and we have to take advantage and not sit back,” Getz said. “They need to react to you, do not react to them. We need to take the initiative and don’t hope that they make errors and miss.”

Whitney Brown can be contacted at a.brown5@umiami.edu.

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

In singles play, the Hurricanes demonstrated strength at the top with both of their ranked players – ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team opened competition Sunday at the 2018 A ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...