Hoyes comes through with clutch victory for Hurricanes

With the entire match on the line for the No.35 Hurricanes, John “Shauny” Hoyes II was able to outlast Federico Barton in a tough three-set contest that allowed the ‘Canes to upset the No. 34 University of South Florida 4-3.

Hoyes, who played No.2 singles, lost the first set but was able to come back and win 4-6, 6-0, 7-5. In the final set with the two teams tied at three matches apiece, Hoyes was down 5-3 but with the crowd’s support he managed to tie the set. In a long match point, Barton toppled over with a leg cramp ending the match.

“I just started to figure out his patterns,” Hoyes said. “His backhand slice kept floating so I kept hitting to his backhand and then I would come in and put the ball away.”

In another three-set match freshman Josh Cohen defeated Uli Kiendl in No.1 singles competition 6-2, 3-6, 6-2. Both players hit hard and consistent groundstrokes throughout the match. Cohen made a few difficult saves by digging deep and even hitting a winner off of Kiendl’s overhead.

Cohen credited the win to his ability to stay calm and to play all-around solid tennis. He said Kiendl’s weakness was a lack mental toughness and getting aggravated.

“I’m happy Josh got through this match. Uli is a very good player,” Head Coach Bryan Getz said.

No.3 singles Eric Hechtman defeated Renato Silveira 7-6 (8-6), 6-3.

No.4 singles Tim Krebs lost to Andres Maroldt 6-7 (5-7), 6-1. Krebs and Maroldt are both from Germany, and Krebs said that it is more relaxing to play another German because they conceal their emotions well.

“He didn’t miss any balls; he played smarter,” Krebs said. “I couldn’t hit one backhand.”

No.5 singles Colin Purcell lost to Juan Barragan 6-4, 6-1. Purcell was down 0-5 in the first set but he managed to win a couple of games.

No.6 singles Jeremiah Fuller was defeated by Matias Sigal in straight sets 6-4, 6-1.

The ‘Canes were able to win all three doubles matches. No. 1 doubles Purcell and Krebs defeated Kiendl and Silveira of USF 8-4

“It was the best doubles the team has played,” Krebs said. “Everybody played well.”

Hoyes and Fuller beat Sigal and Maroldt in second doubles 8-5. Cohen and Hechtman beat Barragan and Barton 8-3, ending the doubles competition with a solid performance from the ‘Canes.

The drop shots for both teams were ineffective because they either did not make it over the net or they set up a winner for the opponent. The Hurricanes lost several points by assuming that a ball was going out when in fact the ball would land in bounds.

“When we play them [USF] it’s always a battle; it’s always tight and we have to take advantage and not sit back,” Getz said. “They need to react to you, do not react to them. We need to take the initiative and don’t hope that they make errors and miss.”

Whitney Brown can be contacted at a.brown5@umiami.edu.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...