JAY WEISS 1927 – 2004

UM Board of Trustees member Jay Weiss died in his sleep last weekend from complications with lung cancer. Weiss, a co-founder of Southern Wine & Spirits, was a prominent fundraiser and donor for UM, raising more than $150 million. He has been credited with helping build the Ryder Trauma Center through his fundraising efforts. He also is said to have put over 50 children through college. This generosity comes as no surprise to those who knew him.
President Shalala described Weiss as a “man so generous that those who have benefited from his personal gifts and advice could fill the Orange Bowl a hundred times.”
She went on to say that Weiss “leaves a hole so deep it will take all of us a lifetime to fulfill his dreams of educational opportunity and good health for everyone in our community.”

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...