Hurricane Frank becomes basketball mascot

When Brian Stubits accepted a dare from his friends to dress up as a hot dog for the men’s basketball season opener, he had no idea that his outfit would become a fixture at the Convocation Center.

Stubits, otherwise known as Hurricane Frank, had purchased the costume for Halloween. What irked the sophomore from Tacoma, Washington, was how much money he paid for one day’s use of the hot dog. After being egged on by a group of friends, Stubits decided to give the costume a second chance at the basketball game.

“The first game [I wore the costume to], one of the guys from Hurricane Force asked me if I minded if they used me in certain things, like marketing, and if I had a name,” Stubits said. “I told them that I didn’t have a name. All I said to them was that I think Frank would be a good name because I am a hot dog and it’s a personal name. They decided to go with Hurricane Frank.”

Stubits has been a passionate sports fan his entire life, and he attended the high school featured in the movie Ten Things I Hate about You. At his school’s basketball games, Stubits and a group of friends would lead the students’ cheers.

“During basketball games in high school we had a ‘Pit Crew’,” Stubits said. “That’s kind of where my excitement for basketball came from and going to games and being loud, obnoxious, and rowdy.”

Stubits is majoring in broadcast journalism and works on the staff at WVUM, Miami’s student-run radio station. He has done play-by-play on several of the ‘Canes’ basketball and baseball games.

Stubits tries to attend every men’s and women’s basketball games, but sometimes his responsibilities with WVUM prevent that from happening.

“I go to all of the men’s games and I try to go to all of the women’s, but sometimes I get bogged down with radio stuff, like producing and announcing,” he said. “But I just try to get the crowd involved [when I am at the games]. It’s really tough here at school but I have developed a little bit of a following and I lead some of the cheers.”

Stubits joked that the females in attendance at the games have had a mixed response to Hurricane Frank.

“I actually had one of the female cheerleaders wink at me the other day, but I must say that was after I made a witty comment to her,” he said. “At the games, walking around, I usually get a lot of weird looks. Most of the girls laugh; I think they are getting used to it now.”

Hurricane Frank can be found in the front of the student section during most of the ‘Canes’ basketball games. Listen for Stubits’s broadcasts on WVUM, 90.5 FM.

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...