Spirits, appetites high at basketball pep rally

Prior to Wednesday night’s women’s basketball game at the Convocation Center, all UM students in attendance were invited to a tailgate inside the Hurricane 100 room where free food and drinks were available. The tailgate, sponsored by Hurricane Force, looked to boost student attendance at women’s basketball games, which has been lacking this season despite the teams’ best start in school history.

“Our students haven’t found this place [the Convocation Center]yet,” President Donna E. Shalala explained. “Once they find the place and see how much fun it can be when they are all here, the students will come.”

The Hurricane 100 room, located beneath the student section and usually used for commencement ceremonies or by donors and trustees for meetings, took on a more spirited role in accommodating not only students but also cheerleaders, Sebastian the Ibis and even Hurricane Frank.

Head coach Fern Labati was also a part of the festivities, giving students an enthusiastic pep talk about their role in supporting the team.

“I want you to know it’s not about the game tonight – it is about the future of what we can achieve here for the Miami Hurricanes. We need your support in the stands,” she said.

The tailgate produced, by far, the largest student turnout at a women’s basketball game this season and may have served its purpose in trying to drive students to attend future games.

Tom Falconer, who has attended several men’s games but had not attended a women’s game before Wednesday night, said the tailgate was a success and helped him become aware that the team is among the best in the nation.

“I know I’m jumping on the bandwagon, but I’ll start attending games now,” he said.

Others felt the tailgate was just a starting point and it would be interesting to see if the attendance could be kept up.

“This is a good starting point, but it’s just a starting point and you have to figure out where you go from here,” Kim Walker said.

Shalala also invited former ticket-holders of the now extinct Miami Sol to the tailgate in order to make the event even more pronounced. She also made it very clear why the Convocation Center was built.

“We built the Convocation Center on campus for the students. The Convocation Center belongs to the students, and tonight we will make that very clear,” Shalala said.

Paul Fajardo can be contacted at p.fajardo@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...