NEWS BRIEFS

Quick Fit Challenge helps faculty & staff shape up

No time to get into shape? Try the Cane Quick Fit Challenge. The Challenge is a 45-minute, three-day-a-week program for faculty and staff that involves strength training on circuit equipment and 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise. Teams of five will compete for prizes. For $20 per person, the challenge entitles Wellness Center members to a fitness assessment and consultations, weight loss presentation, nutrition information and assessment of success. Deadline to enroll is Feb. 16. For more information, call 305-284-LIFE or visit www.miami.edu/wellness and click on “Cane Quick Fit Challenge.”

Intramural sports are back

Start getting your team together for another exciting round of intramural sports. Entries are now being accepted at the Wellness Center for basketball, arena football, flag football and kickball. If you don’t have a team, then sign up on the free agent roster. To find out more about the intramural program call Jason Carroll at 305-284-8518.

MSA offers free graduate school practice tests, info

The Department of Multicultural Student Affairs in conjunction with The Princeton Review invites you to take a FREE Practice Test/Info Session and support the UM United Way campaign.
*MCAT & LSAT: Saturday, Feb. 7, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. in UC Flamingo Ballrooms.
*GMAT & GRE info session: Saturday, Feb. 7, 10 – 11:30 a.m. in UC Flamingo Ballrooms.
*How you can help: sign up and donate $5 to the UM United Way Campaign.
*What you get: free info session, free diagnostic exam, free detailed score report, and a $50 course discount coupon.
RSVP by calling 305-662-1464 for additional details. Seating is limited, so call soon.

Speaker to discuss myths of Israel-Palestine conflict

Judaic Studies is hosting a presentation featuring Dr. Mitchell G. Bard speaking on “Myths and Facts Surrounding the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict.” This program, from 12 to 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 3, is sponsored by the Futernick Family Foundation at the Miller Center, 105 Merrick Bldg. We invite you to be our guest for lunch. Please RSVP by Jan. 30 in order to have lunch ordered for you. If you do not make a reservation, you are still welcome to attend the lecture, but without lunch. To RSVP, send an e-mail to ccjs@miami.edu, call 305-284-6882 or send a fax to 305-284-5274.

The 2003 yearbook is finally here! Have your 2004 picture taken now to get your 2003 yearbook a week early. If you have had your photo taken already, you can pick up your 2003 yearbook at this time. Underclassmen photos will be taken from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., and Senior portraits from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. from January 26 through 30 in the UC Lounge. For more information, contact the Ibis yearbook at 305-284-6385.

Love acting? Have talent? Then come down to the UC Ballrooms (second floor) from February 3 through 6 in between 5 and 8 p.m. and audition for Quantum Entertainment’s production of West Side Story. Prepare a one-minute, serio-comic monologue and 16 bars from a musical that best shows off your voice. Walk-ins are welcome during any of the hours listed, or reserve an audition appointment by sending an e-mail to WESTSIDECASTING@yahoo.com or call 305-284-4606. Appointments are six minutes in length. Dance auditions are held at 9 p.m. each night.

Here’s your last chance to take Senior and Underclassmen yearbook photos, from January 26 through 30 in the UC Lounge. Seniors must make their appointment online at www.mcgrathstudios.com, password: ibis. Senior sitting fee is $20.00 and portraits include cap and gown. Don’t miss out on being part of this year’s yearbook. Furthermore, the Ibis is still looking for candidates for “Senior Spotlight”, features on outstanding seniors in the 2004 yearbook. In order to nominate or apply, pass by the Ibis office, UC 229, and pick up a form. Forms are due in the office by February 13.

The Ibis yearbook is in need of writers. The theme of the book this year is school spirit, and they want to include as many voices and reactions as possible in the book. The Ibis covers anything and everything that takes place on campus, and even things off campus, like summer blockbusters, or the World Series. Everyone is encouraged to submit their stories, even if they think it’s not something that would be included. The stories are usually 250 through 300 words, but it is also okay if the articles are more, as that is something that can be worked with. There are plenty of assignments that need to be covered, and stories that are printed in the yearbook are considered published work, so it looks great on resumes! The Ibis yearbook wins awards every year, why not be a part of it? All quotes and stories can be sent to ibiswriter@hotmail.com or dropped off at the yearbook office in the UC 229. Include your name, year, and an e-mail address.

The Miami Hurricanes football team hosted the 2017 Football Awards Show at Gusman Hall on the Univer ...