DEPARTMENT OF INTERNATIONAL STUDIES BLOWOUT!

Earlier this week, The Hurricane reported that the Department of International Studies had been officially terminated, less than two years after the closure of the School of International Studies. Details have now surfaced at various informative meetings throughout the week, both appeasing and infuriating students.

Dr. James Wyche, vice provost and dean of the College of Arts & Sciences [A&S], made the final decision with the support of President Shalala.

“The only thing that is final is that I can no longer support the Department of International Studies,” Wyche said.

Word of the closure spread to international studies [INS] majors essentially through word of mouth and student emails – only three students were officially notified by administration of the closure.

Adele Bagley, Sebastian Gonzalez and Andrea Echavarria were called in to speak with INS administration.

“They told us it’s a ‘substandard’ program. . . it was ‘unthinkable’ how much money it would take to make this a viable program,” Bagley said.

Currently there is no listserv to contact all of the INS majors, but flyers and emails through an improvised list were distributed announcing the decision.

An informal meeting outside the Ferr

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...