Department of International Studies Closed

UM executive administration officially closed the Department of International Studies last week.

This move comes after last year’s closing of the School of International Studies and the North-South Center.

International Studies at UM included international relations and an understanding of global developments, as well an appreciation of regional developments in Europe and Latin America.

As early as 1937, UM offered a special undergraduate major in Latin American studies, a pioneering program in the field of international studies.

Following the inauguration of President Edward T. Foote II in 1981, UM developed the Center for Advanced International Studies, the Graduate School of International Studies and the Dante B. Fascell North-South Center.

In 1997, the University’s graduate and undergraduate programs were unified, and the Graduate School of International Studies became the School of International Studies.

In 2002, under President Donna E. Shalala, a further reorganization took place and the School of International Studies became the Department of International Studies within the College of Arts & Sciences.

Students who are concerned about the effects the closing of the department could have on their degrees can attend an informative meeting tonight at 6 p.m. outside of the Ferre Building.

The Hurricane will follow up on this issue as more details become available.

Jorge Arauz can be contacted at j.arauz@umiami.edu.

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...