Department of International Studies Closed

UM executive administration officially closed the Department of International Studies last week.

This move comes after last year’s closing of the School of International Studies and the North-South Center.

International Studies at UM included international relations and an understanding of global developments, as well an appreciation of regional developments in Europe and Latin America.

As early as 1937, UM offered a special undergraduate major in Latin American studies, a pioneering program in the field of international studies.

Following the inauguration of President Edward T. Foote II in 1981, UM developed the Center for Advanced International Studies, the Graduate School of International Studies and the Dante B. Fascell North-South Center.

In 1997, the University’s graduate and undergraduate programs were unified, and the Graduate School of International Studies became the School of International Studies.

In 2002, under President Donna E. Shalala, a further reorganization took place and the School of International Studies became the Department of International Studies within the College of Arts & Sciences.

Students who are concerned about the effects the closing of the department could have on their degrees can attend an informative meeting tonight at 6 p.m. outside of the Ferre Building.

The Hurricane will follow up on this issue as more details become available.

Jorge Arauz can be contacted at j.arauz@umiami.edu.

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...