UM Ethics Programs join in community initiative

UM Ethics Programs, in a joint effort with the Human Services Coalition, the Knight Foundation and the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, are helping launch the Greater Miami Community Prosperity Initiative.

The coalition released its first publication outlining the project, titled “Building Community Prosperity in Miami-Dade: Civic Engagement, Dialogue, and Action,” in the Chamber of Commerce on Jan. 7.

The goal of the initiative is to raise the living standards of Miami residents. Its launching comes after Miami learned in Fall 2002 that, according to the 2000 U.S. Census, it is the poorest large city in the country.

Recent efforts of the Community Prosperity Initiative have focused on teaching residents about increasing their use of federal benefits, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit, the Food Stamps program, and Medicaid. These efforts have brought $62 million in new income – with a multiplying effect that equals a total of $546 million – into the local economy. The initiative also reaches out to local businesses to teach employees about benefits to which they are entitled.

“It’s of no cost to the businesses, and it benefits employees, so it’s a win-win situation, ” Cava said

Visit www.prosperitycampaign.org, or contact Dr. Anita Cava at acava@miami.edu or Dr. Kenneth Goodman at kgoodman@miami.edu.

Patricia Mazzei can be contacted at pmazzei@umsis.miami.edu.

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

The Miami women's tennis team split its eight matches on its second day of competition at the I ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...