UM Ethics Programs join in community initiative

UM Ethics Programs, in a joint effort with the Human Services Coalition, the Knight Foundation and the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, are helping launch the Greater Miami Community Prosperity Initiative.

The coalition released its first publication outlining the project, titled “Building Community Prosperity in Miami-Dade: Civic Engagement, Dialogue, and Action,” in the Chamber of Commerce on Jan. 7.

The goal of the initiative is to raise the living standards of Miami residents. Its launching comes after Miami learned in Fall 2002 that, according to the 2000 U.S. Census, it is the poorest large city in the country.

Recent efforts of the Community Prosperity Initiative have focused on teaching residents about increasing their use of federal benefits, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit, the Food Stamps program, and Medicaid. These efforts have brought $62 million in new income – with a multiplying effect that equals a total of $546 million – into the local economy. The initiative also reaches out to local businesses to teach employees about benefits to which they are entitled.

“It’s of no cost to the businesses, and it benefits employees, so it’s a win-win situation, ” Cava said

Visit www.prosperitycampaign.org, or contact Dr. Anita Cava at acava@miami.edu or Dr. Kenneth Goodman at kgoodman@miami.edu.

Patricia Mazzei can be contacted at pmazzei@umsis.miami.edu.

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...