Sixth-Year Seniors: the college experience is different

As a sixth-year senior about to graduate in December, I find myself becoming nostalgic about my time here at the University of Miami. I started UM in the fall of 1997 and have experienced many changes that have taken place here over the years.

As an incoming freshmen majoring in Marketing and living in Pearson I was ready to get the most out of my college experience. Now I live off campus and I’m majoring in Journalism, which is a lot more fun than the Business school and living in the shoeboxes they call dorm rooms. My freshmen year my roommate was so big he practically took up half of the room just being there.

Six years and 140 credits later I’m ready to get out of here and take on the real world. This last semester for me has been great; from going on the Category 5 trip to Tallahassee to watching the Canes beat Florida State in the pouring rain and having pitchers at the Rat, there’s always something going on.

When I started at UM the football team had a losing record, now the Hurricanes have a National Championship and respect across the country. The campus looked a lot different too; the School of Communications wasn’t built yet and the Wellness Center was brand new. Now the campus looks like a giant outdoor Starbucks with those green tables and chairs everywhere.

To those of you still in school I recommend that you enjoy it while you can. Your four years, or in my case six years, will go by fast and the more you accomplish by getting involved on campus the better you will feel at graduation. The University of Miami is a first-class institution that requires its students to get involved in campus life. Looking for jobs and working on resumes is something we all have to do so take the time while you are in school to find out what you like to do and where your strengths and weaknesses are.

I probably learned more outside of the classroom than inside and the life you build for yourself in college helps to determine the type of person you’ll be when you graduate.

I had to learn the hard way about taking education for granted. Some academic and financial problems meant that I had to withdraw from UM and attend F.I.U. for one semester. Being at F.I.U. really made appreciate the quality of education and on campus life that you have here at UM.

Fortunately I was able to be readmitted here to UM and finish my degree here. I would like to personally thank Catherine Long, my professors, and the School of Communication for their help and support. I encourage the rest of the student body to live long, party hard, and represent UM to the fullest. It’s been a fun ride!

Ben Enfield can be contacted at benjamin_enfield@hotmail.com.

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...