Letter One to the Editor: Re: 11/21 column, “International Solidarity Movement, Supporter of Terrorism, at UM”

I am disgusted with Pete Trombadore’s article in the November 21, 2003 edition of the Miami Hurricane, which stated that OASIS, ISUM, and Amnesty International used funds to directly support terrorism. International Solidarity Movement, the organization that the speakers represented, is in no way supporting terrorist organizations nor is allied with them as Pete stated. ISM is, “working to raise awareness of the struggle for Palestinian freedom and an end to Israeli occupation. (They) utilize nonviolent, direct-action methods of resistance to confront and challenge illegal Israeli occupation forces and policies.”
After talking with Sara Renn, sophomore at the University of Louisville, she assured me that ISM was not connected with terrorist organizations. “My friend attended an ISM program last year. Her job was to visit with Palestinian children and escort them safely.”
ISM supports the UN resolutions that declared tha Palestinians can defend themselves in times of Israeli torture. So, to you, Pete, and anyone else who was swayed by his libel, I would repeat a phrase from the November 21 article “The goal of peace in the Middle East, the nations of Palestine and Israel living side by side in harmony and equality, does not stand commensurate with the messages of mass murder performed by the Israeli army, such as the 90 Palestinian children killed in the first three months of the Infitada.
I believe Pete’s remarks were racist, myopic, and unpatriotic to say the least. His article is a disgrace and embarrassment to our university, a diverse campus with many Muslim students. I am convinced that it is his bigoted words which endorse hate, profiling, and hostility towards peaceful Muslims and Arab-Americans. The total cessation of terrorism needs to be achieved, and that includes Israel’s terrorist tactics as well as suicide bombers.

Tanya Aquino

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...