Hard Boiled Freebies

Life & Art Secretary

Hello everyone. Just in time to ring in the American holiday spirit of materialism, we have some free stuff to give-a-away. We’re trying to decide what was choice-r, the GTA: Vice City box-set we gave away in September or this John Woo five-DVD box-set. Makes you go hmm…

Woo, who gets cult props for directing such Hong Kong silver-bullet ballets of ultra violence like Hard Boiled, The Killer and the A Better Tomorrow series, crossed-over to the US mainstream with the Travolta post-comeback flicks Broken Arrow and Face/Off.

On December 25, Christmas Day, he has a new action flick hitting theatres, Paycheck, starring Miami-by-association’s Ben Affleck and Kill Bill’s luber hot (literally, figuratively, whatevs) Uma Thurman. It looks like Momento-meets-The Bourne Identity-meets-Ronin-meets-Face/Off: Dude loses memory in the future, runs into shady guy(s), foot chases ensue, probably hooks up with hot girl, car chases ensue, explosions, bullets flying – all that.

If you want this five-DVD box-set to become better acquainted with Woo, answer this question. Select runners-up will receive Paycheck T-shirts (again, a great holiday gift for that love of your life).

Of all of Quentin Tarantino’s flicks (in case you missed Kill Bill’s trailer there are four), which one pays uber-respect to Woo’s legendary men-with-guns standoffs?

Send your answers, one per person, to Huntlaed@hotmail.com. Winners will be contacted by an L&A affiliate, so send that one email and wait. If you get bored play Manhunt for the PS2. If you don’t hear back from us by, let’s say 2007, you didn’t win. Cheers.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...