SPORTS BRIEFS

Women’s hoops

The University of Miami women’s basketball team opened the 2003-04 season with a 93-54 victory over Morehead State Saturday afternoon in the Morehead Tourism Commission Tip-Off Classic in Morehead, KY.

Senior Chanivia Broussard and sophomore Tamara James scored 15 points apiece to lead the Hurricane offense.

Junior Yalonda McCormick scored 11 points, dished out five assists and picked up five steals in 25 minutes of action.

Freshman Imani Dhahabu scored 10 points and grabbed seven rebounds off the bench for UM.

The Hurricanes opened the game on a 10-2 run and continued to add to their lead shooting 57.1 percent from the field in the first half.

Miami led 55-24 at the half.

The Hurricanes continued to dominate the Lady Eagles leading by as many as 49 points in the second half.

Miami shot 49.3 percent in the game, compared to 32.2 percent for Morehead.

The Hurricanes forced 26 MSU turnovers

Women’s Tennis

The University of Miami women’s tennis team signed Juliette Mavroleon and Caren Seenauth, two of Florida’s top five players, to national letters-of-intent for the 2004-05 season.

Mavroleon, a Miami native and a standout from Dr. Michael M. Krop High School advanced to the semifinals of the Florida Open this summer.

Seenauth advanced to the Round of 16 at the USTA Supernational Clay Courts.

“My goal is to build our program around the huge talent that’s in the state of Florida,” said head coach Paige Yaroshuk. “This talented recruiting class is a step in that direction and I am extremely excited to have them push our team to the next level.”

The players teamed up to advance to the quarterfinals of the Florida Open

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...