SPORTS BRIEFS

Women’s hoops

The University of Miami women’s basketball team opened the 2003-04 season with a 93-54 victory over Morehead State Saturday afternoon in the Morehead Tourism Commission Tip-Off Classic in Morehead, KY.

Senior Chanivia Broussard and sophomore Tamara James scored 15 points apiece to lead the Hurricane offense.

Junior Yalonda McCormick scored 11 points, dished out five assists and picked up five steals in 25 minutes of action.

Freshman Imani Dhahabu scored 10 points and grabbed seven rebounds off the bench for UM.

The Hurricanes opened the game on a 10-2 run and continued to add to their lead shooting 57.1 percent from the field in the first half.

Miami led 55-24 at the half.

The Hurricanes continued to dominate the Lady Eagles leading by as many as 49 points in the second half.

Miami shot 49.3 percent in the game, compared to 32.2 percent for Morehead.

The Hurricanes forced 26 MSU turnovers

Women’s Tennis

The University of Miami women’s tennis team signed Juliette Mavroleon and Caren Seenauth, two of Florida’s top five players, to national letters-of-intent for the 2004-05 season.

Mavroleon, a Miami native and a standout from Dr. Michael M. Krop High School advanced to the semifinals of the Florida Open this summer.

Seenauth advanced to the Round of 16 at the USTA Supernational Clay Courts.

“My goal is to build our program around the huge talent that’s in the state of Florida,” said head coach Paige Yaroshuk. “This talented recruiting class is a step in that direction and I am extremely excited to have them push our team to the next level.”

The players teamed up to advance to the quarterfinals of the Florida Open

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...