SPORTS BRIEFS

Women’s hoops

The University of Miami women’s basketball team opened the 2003-04 season with a 93-54 victory over Morehead State Saturday afternoon in the Morehead Tourism Commission Tip-Off Classic in Morehead, KY.

Senior Chanivia Broussard and sophomore Tamara James scored 15 points apiece to lead the Hurricane offense.

Junior Yalonda McCormick scored 11 points, dished out five assists and picked up five steals in 25 minutes of action.

Freshman Imani Dhahabu scored 10 points and grabbed seven rebounds off the bench for UM.

The Hurricanes opened the game on a 10-2 run and continued to add to their lead shooting 57.1 percent from the field in the first half.

Miami led 55-24 at the half.

The Hurricanes continued to dominate the Lady Eagles leading by as many as 49 points in the second half.

Miami shot 49.3 percent in the game, compared to 32.2 percent for Morehead.

The Hurricanes forced 26 MSU turnovers

Women’s Tennis

The University of Miami women’s tennis team signed Juliette Mavroleon and Caren Seenauth, two of Florida’s top five players, to national letters-of-intent for the 2004-05 season.

Mavroleon, a Miami native and a standout from Dr. Michael M. Krop High School advanced to the semifinals of the Florida Open this summer.

Seenauth advanced to the Round of 16 at the USTA Supernational Clay Courts.

“My goal is to build our program around the huge talent that’s in the state of Florida,” said head coach Paige Yaroshuk. “This talented recruiting class is a step in that direction and I am extremely excited to have them push our team to the next level.”

The players teamed up to advance to the quarterfinals of the Florida Open

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...