REPORT CARD: UM 34 * Rutgers 10

Offense
The offensive unit was not spectacular, but they played mistake-free football and even scored three touchdowns in the red zone. That is the type of effort that could earn the Hurricanes a Big East title.
Grade: B+

Quarterbacks
Brock Berlin threw two touchdown passes and no interceptions, a ratio that everyone will be satisfied with. However, Berlin only threw for 86 yards and missed a wide-open Kellen Winslow on several occasions.
Grade: B-

Running Backs
Jarrett Payton enjoyed a gratifying final home game, as the senior gained 82 yards on 13 carries and had a nice 18-yard touchdown in the third quarter. Tyrone Moss had a quiet 56 yards and Jason Geathers gained 52 yards in garbage time.
Grade: B

Wide Receivers
It was nice to see Kevin Everett score a pair of touchdowns. Some people wondered if the sophomore would ever recover from the dropped touchdown pass against Virginia Tech. Winslow only caught two passes, which isn’t necessarily his fault, and top wide out Ryan Moore had his number called just once.
Grade: C+

Offensive Line
The o-line opened up holes for the running backs when they needed to be opened, gave Berlin plenty of time to throw the ball, and Rutgers only had two sacks, with both coming in the fourth quarter when the game was a blowout.
Grade: B+

Defense
The defense gave the crowd many thrills, as the unit racked up six sacks and three interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown. Rutgers could not score on the defense until late in the fourth quarter.
Grade: A

Defensive Line
Who is Javon Nanton? That is what many fans were asking when they kept hearing his name called throughout the game. The former walk-on had a career high three and a half sacks, and pressured Ryan Hart on several other occasions.
Grade: A

Linebackers
Jon Vilma was all over the place in his final game at the Orange Bowl, stuffing Rutgers’ tailbacks behind the line of scrimmage and not allowing many big runs. The only knock on the linebackers was that they were the only defensive unit to fail to create a turnover.
Grade: B

Secondary
It was nice to see the nation’s top safety, Sean Taylor, make an interception and run it back for a score. Antrel Rolle joined the fun with a pick in the first half. If the secondary performs like this against Pittsburgh, the Panthers will be in for a long night.
Grade: A

Special Teams
Jon Peattie hit both of his field goal attempts, the Hurricanes blocked two punts, and Brian Monroe punted pretty well. With the special teams’ mishaps of weeks past, ‘Canes fans will gladly take this effort.
Grade: A

-compiled by Eric Kalis

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...