More Press than Protesters

The number of press photographers and writers surpassed the number of Gap protesters at “Boycott The Gap” event in South Beach on Monday. The protestors, who traveled from San Francisco (which is ironically where The Gap began), are against The Gap for many reasons. Their primary concerns were the use of sweatshops that exploit laborers and the destruction of the environment through clothing production.
Eventually the protesters stripped off their clothes, saying they would rather wear nothing than wear clothes from The Gap.

Facts (from Boycott The Gap pamphlet)

*The Gap gets its cotton from Uzbekistan, where field workers are among the poorest and most exploited laborers.

*Workers in Gap’s sweatshops make as little as 11 cents per hour.

*If interested in more of the reasons behind the boycott, check out the following websites for more information:
www.gapsucks.org
www.behindthelabel.org
www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/sweatshops/gap/index.html.

The Miami Hurricanes, still waiting for a starting quarterback to be named, are in the top 25 again. ...

Happy first day of school for everyone out there, including the University of Miami students. We jus ...