More Press than Protesters

The number of press photographers and writers surpassed the number of Gap protesters at “Boycott The Gap” event in South Beach on Monday. The protestors, who traveled from San Francisco (which is ironically where The Gap began), are against The Gap for many reasons. Their primary concerns were the use of sweatshops that exploit laborers and the destruction of the environment through clothing production.
Eventually the protesters stripped off their clothes, saying they would rather wear nothing than wear clothes from The Gap.

Facts (from Boycott The Gap pamphlet)

*The Gap gets its cotton from Uzbekistan, where field workers are among the poorest and most exploited laborers.

*Workers in Gap’s sweatshops make as little as 11 cents per hour.

*If interested in more of the reasons behind the boycott, check out the following websites for more information:
www.gapsucks.org
www.behindthelabel.org
www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/sweatshops/gap/index.html.

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...