Volleyball has no trouble with Hokies

It was a good Saturday for Hurricane athletics. Along with the football team getting back on the winning track, the women’s volleyball team ended their regular season on a winning note as they swept Virginia Tech 3-0 (30-25, 30-28, 30-21).

The match was key in the positioning battle for the Big East Championship, as Miami held a one game lead over Virginia Tech in the Big East standings coming into the match.

The ‘Canes were never in trouble all night except for a late Hokies run in the second game to make the score look much closer than it actually was. Miami was led by senior Leyre Santaella Sante, who had 13 kills in her final match ever at the Knight Sports Complex.

“I think we were pretty steady tonight,” Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “We had a great offensive performance out of Leyre, Robin and Karla. We had three players who were on fire and when you have that many people putting up those kind of numbers, you are in a good position.”

In the second game, the Hurricanes reeled off five straight service points behind the serving of junior Elizabeth Tyson. The Hokies came back to tie the game at 14 before the ‘Canes took the lead for good behind red shirt freshman Francheska Savage’s shot into the center of the court.

After intermission, freshman Jill Robinson put to rest any of the Hokies’ dreams of a comeback victory with a kill to secure Miami’s spot in the Big East Tournament.

This is the second straight year UM will move on to the postseason. They will play as the No. 3 seed in the tournament behind Notre Dame and Pitt.

“We secured our spot,” Lantagne Welch said. “We will probably play Notre Dame or Pittsburgh. Both of those teams got us earlier this year and we will be coming in as an underdog and we are excited about being in that position.”

Notre Dame defeated the Hurricanes 3-0 on Nov. 9 in South Bend, while Pittsburgh won 3-1 in Coral Gables on Nov. 2.

The ‘Canes head to South Bend on Saturday for the opening round of the tournament, with their opponent being the loser of the Pittsburgh-Notre Dame match.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...