NEWS BRIEFS

‘Vagina Monologues’ auditioning

If you are a female or live your life as a female and want to take a stand against violence towards women, here is your chance to audition for The Vagina Monologues. The annual benefit performance of The Vagina Monologues is part of the V-Day global movement to stop violence against women and girls. This year UM is honored to be sharing this performance with the campus and surrounding community during the spring semester. Auditions for women will take place on Nov. 23 at 2 p.m. in UC 241. If you are interested, please note that no acting experience is required. They are looking for a diverse group of women who are committed to share their voice for those women around the world whose stories cannot otherwise be heard. If you have any questions, contact Nanette Vega at 305-284-2856 or nvega@miami.edu or Dana Ponsky at 305-284-5646 or dponsky@miami.edu.

‘Ibis” yearbook needs writers

The Ibis yearbook is in need of writers. The theme of the book this year is school spirit, and they want to include as many voices and reactions as possible in the book. The Ibis covers anything and everything that takes place on campus and even things off campus, like summer blockbusters or the World Series. Everyone is encouraged to submit their stories, even if they think it is not something that would be included. The stories are usually 250-300 words, but longer stories are also accepted. Stories printed in the yearbook are considered published work, so it looks great on resumes! The Ibis yearbook wins awards every year, why not be a part of it? All quotes and stories can be sent to ibiswriter@hotmail.com or dropped off at the yearbook office in the UC 229. Include your name, year and an e-mail address.

Holiday Hope Tree seeks donations

The Butler Volunteer Services Center is celebrating all the holidays by giving you a chance to buy a disadvantaged child a gift. Holiday Hope Tree information can be picked up at the University Center Information Desk.
Help wanted for St. Jude’s charity

Up Till Dawn is looking for people who are willing to help raise money for a great cause. St. Jude’s Children Research Hospital is a non-profit organization that treats children with life-threatening illnesses at no cost to the family. They also do research to try and find cures for these illnesses. If they find a cure or breakthrough, they share it nation-wide, free of cost. St. Jude’s is a hospital dedicated to making sure that no child is unable to receive treatment. If you or your organization would like help in this effort to raise money for the hospital, contact VSC at 284-GIVE.

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...