SG UPDATE: Senators push to hold exams on Monday & Friday to discourage student drinking

This week’s SG Senate meeting began by ratifying three new senators. Peter Grovermen will be the commuter south senator, Francine Madera will be the commuter central senator and James Pascual will be the apartment area senator.

Additionally, SG voted to allocate $750 to C.O.I.S.O. for their annual international student Thanksgiving dinner.

Jason Guercio, chief of staff for internal affairs and undergraduate representative to the Faculty Senate, reported on the Faculty Senate meeting held Oct. 29.

Among the major items presented was the progress of the Momentum Capital Campaign.

Additionally, Dean Sandler reported on the Center for Alcohol and other Drug Education. Among his points were the heightened emphasis on alcohol and drug issues, including the death of a fraternity pledge in Lake Osceola in fall 2001 and the closing of the Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity house on San Amaro Drive.

A number of senators present encouraged their fellow senators to schedule exams on Fridays and Mondays to discourage students from going out and consuming alcohol on Thursday nights and over the weekend.

Paul Orehovic made a detailed report about the fall 2003 enrollment.

Professor David Wilson reported on behalf of the committee reviewing and revising the General Education Requirements, specifically the writing requirements.

For more information on SG, visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/sg, stop by the office in UC 214 or call 305-284-3082.

To contact SG, e-mail them at studentgovernment@umiami.edu.

Senate meetings are held every Wednesday from 4 to 6 p.m. and are open to the public.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...