SG UPDATE: Senators push to hold exams on Monday & Friday to discourage student drinking

This week’s SG Senate meeting began by ratifying three new senators. Peter Grovermen will be the commuter south senator, Francine Madera will be the commuter central senator and James Pascual will be the apartment area senator.

Additionally, SG voted to allocate $750 to C.O.I.S.O. for their annual international student Thanksgiving dinner.

Jason Guercio, chief of staff for internal affairs and undergraduate representative to the Faculty Senate, reported on the Faculty Senate meeting held Oct. 29.

Among the major items presented was the progress of the Momentum Capital Campaign.

Additionally, Dean Sandler reported on the Center for Alcohol and other Drug Education. Among his points were the heightened emphasis on alcohol and drug issues, including the death of a fraternity pledge in Lake Osceola in fall 2001 and the closing of the Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity house on San Amaro Drive.

A number of senators present encouraged their fellow senators to schedule exams on Fridays and Mondays to discourage students from going out and consuming alcohol on Thursday nights and over the weekend.

Paul Orehovic made a detailed report about the fall 2003 enrollment.

Professor David Wilson reported on behalf of the committee reviewing and revising the General Education Requirements, specifically the writing requirements.

For more information on SG, visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/sg, stop by the office in UC 214 or call 305-284-3082.

To contact SG, e-mail them at studentgovernment@umiami.edu.

Senate meetings are held every Wednesday from 4 to 6 p.m. and are open to the public.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...