SG UPDATE: Senators push to hold exams on Monday & Friday to discourage student drinking

This week’s SG Senate meeting began by ratifying three new senators. Peter Grovermen will be the commuter south senator, Francine Madera will be the commuter central senator and James Pascual will be the apartment area senator.

Additionally, SG voted to allocate $750 to C.O.I.S.O. for their annual international student Thanksgiving dinner.

Jason Guercio, chief of staff for internal affairs and undergraduate representative to the Faculty Senate, reported on the Faculty Senate meeting held Oct. 29.

Among the major items presented was the progress of the Momentum Capital Campaign.

Additionally, Dean Sandler reported on the Center for Alcohol and other Drug Education. Among his points were the heightened emphasis on alcohol and drug issues, including the death of a fraternity pledge in Lake Osceola in fall 2001 and the closing of the Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity house on San Amaro Drive.

A number of senators present encouraged their fellow senators to schedule exams on Fridays and Mondays to discourage students from going out and consuming alcohol on Thursday nights and over the weekend.

Paul Orehovic made a detailed report about the fall 2003 enrollment.

Professor David Wilson reported on behalf of the committee reviewing and revising the General Education Requirements, specifically the writing requirements.

For more information on SG, visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/sg, stop by the office in UC 214 or call 305-284-3082.

To contact SG, e-mail them at studentgovernment@umiami.edu.

Senate meetings are held every Wednesday from 4 to 6 p.m. and are open to the public.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...