Lyricist Lounge Tour brings ‘Rapper’s Delight’ to UM

Rappers Sugar Hill Gang, Jin, Clipse and Roscoe P. Coldchain came to UM as part of the Lyricist Lounge Tour. Students said the artists, fresh off the European part of their tour and tired from a transatlantic journey, still managed to stir up the crowd and give a memorable performance.

“I feel like I’m part of history, watching Sugar Hill Gang perform,” Dorothy Jackson, junior, said.

The show, organized by Hurricane Productions, opened with a rap-off contest between students that showcased their creativity, followed by a performance by Jin, whom students described as having a “natural charisma and out-of-this-world lyrics.”

Jin performed a couple songs and then made way for the Sugar Hill Gang. Although the group did not play many of their own songs, they did perform their international hit single, “Rapper’s Delight.”

During the performance, a group of UM girls were invited to go onstage and dance with them.

Among them was a girl who is being recruited to play for the women’s basketball team.

“It’s really great that we got a recruit,” Tamara James, sophomore, said. “It’s really special for her.”

In an interview with Sugar Hill Gang prior to the show, lead singer “Wonder Mike,” as he is called by his fans, said that he was inspired to become famous when he saw the Beatles movie A Hard Day’s Night.

“As I watched that group of four British boys being chased by frenzied fans, I told myself, ‘That’s what I want to do,'” Wonder Mike said.

His dream came true years later after the release of “Rapper’s Delight.”

Wonder Mike said that he saw the rap scene evolve from being fun and carefree to a more serious and violent context.

“It’s always evolving. It’s human nature to push it to the next level, but that’s not me,” Wonder Mike said.

He said that he likes to listen to different types of music, ranging from rock to the eclectic piano sounds of Yanni.

The Sugar Hill Gang still write their own songs, and when asked where they derive their influences, Wonder Mike responded.

“Creativity is half inspiration and half what you do with it,” he said. “It’s not from whom you derive your music from, but what you do with it.”

Jin agreed.

“True, creativity comes from within; nobody can give it to you,” Jin said. “You know, I’ve been rapping since the sixth grade, never took it seriously until I was 17.”

For more information or a listing of upcoming events, visit Hurricane Productions at www.um-hp.com or call 305-284-4606.

Abhishek Shah can be contacted at ablashek@hotmail.com.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...