REPORT CARD

Offense: Scoring only seven points in a must-win game is inexcusable for a team as good as Miami, and the unit struggled in every offensive aspect of the game, especially passing.
Grade: D

Quarterback: Berlin had his worst game as a Hurricane, throwing two costly interceptions before being pulled for Derrick Crudup in the third quarter. Crudup was able to throw for a touchdown in the fourth quarter and gained 38 yards rushing, but an interception in the end zone hurt his overall performance.
Grade: D+

Running Back: Jarrett Payton had a decent game with 69 yards on 18 carries, but never got into the end zone. None of the running backs were able to break open any big runs for the Hurricanes, and Payton’s pass blocking was suspect.
Grade: C-

Wide Receivers: Ryan Moore was one of the few bright spots for the Hurricanes, catching seven passes for 101 yards. Kellen Winslow had eight receptions but only gained 48 yards. Roscoe Parrish’s fumble led to the Hokies’ first score.
Grade: C

Offensive Line: This was clearly the o-line’s worst performance of the season. Both quarterbacks were pressured more than they had been all year, and Berlin threw both of his interceptions under tremendous pressure.
Grade: D

Defense: The defensive unit did not have a horrible game despite the score. Two of Tech’s touchdowns were defensive, and a third was set up by an interception return. The unit did not have anything to be proud about, however.
Grade: C+

Defensive Line: The d-line was ineffective, as Kevin Jones was able to run up the middle without hesitation, gaining 124 yards on 26 carries. The line was unable to contain Marcus Vick, who ran around the ends for first downs on several occasions. Thomas Carroll’s fumble recovery could have been a big play for the Hurricanes, however.
Grade: C-

Linebackers: Jon Vilma and D.J. Williams had solid games, but neither made any substantial plays for the Hurricanes. Darrell McClover caused Vick’s only fumble and applied constant pressure.
Grade: B-

Secondary: It is hard to complain about the secondary when the Hokies only complete two passes the entire game, but Vick’s touchdown pass was unacceptable and the ‘Canes’ top playmaker, Sean Taylor, was a non-factor.
Grade: B

Special Teams: The fake field goal was a good idea, but it didn’t work out. Brian Monroe shanked several punts, giving the Hokies favorable field position, and a field goal attempt was blocked.
Grade: C-

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...