REPORT CARD

Offense: Scoring only seven points in a must-win game is inexcusable for a team as good as Miami, and the unit struggled in every offensive aspect of the game, especially passing.
Grade: D

Quarterback: Berlin had his worst game as a Hurricane, throwing two costly interceptions before being pulled for Derrick Crudup in the third quarter. Crudup was able to throw for a touchdown in the fourth quarter and gained 38 yards rushing, but an interception in the end zone hurt his overall performance.
Grade: D+

Running Back: Jarrett Payton had a decent game with 69 yards on 18 carries, but never got into the end zone. None of the running backs were able to break open any big runs for the Hurricanes, and Payton’s pass blocking was suspect.
Grade: C-

Wide Receivers: Ryan Moore was one of the few bright spots for the Hurricanes, catching seven passes for 101 yards. Kellen Winslow had eight receptions but only gained 48 yards. Roscoe Parrish’s fumble led to the Hokies’ first score.
Grade: C

Offensive Line: This was clearly the o-line’s worst performance of the season. Both quarterbacks were pressured more than they had been all year, and Berlin threw both of his interceptions under tremendous pressure.
Grade: D

Defense: The defensive unit did not have a horrible game despite the score. Two of Tech’s touchdowns were defensive, and a third was set up by an interception return. The unit did not have anything to be proud about, however.
Grade: C+

Defensive Line: The d-line was ineffective, as Kevin Jones was able to run up the middle without hesitation, gaining 124 yards on 26 carries. The line was unable to contain Marcus Vick, who ran around the ends for first downs on several occasions. Thomas Carroll’s fumble recovery could have been a big play for the Hurricanes, however.
Grade: C-

Linebackers: Jon Vilma and D.J. Williams had solid games, but neither made any substantial plays for the Hurricanes. Darrell McClover caused Vick’s only fumble and applied constant pressure.
Grade: B-

Secondary: It is hard to complain about the secondary when the Hokies only complete two passes the entire game, but Vick’s touchdown pass was unacceptable and the ‘Canes’ top playmaker, Sean Taylor, was a non-factor.
Grade: B

Special Teams: The fake field goal was a good idea, but it didn’t work out. Brian Monroe shanked several punts, giving the Hokies favorable field position, and a field goal attempt was blocked.
Grade: C-

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...