SG president gives State of the University address

Scott Sadowski, Student Government [SG] president, gave his State of the University address during the Senate meeting on Wednesday, beginning his speech by addressing a question that he says has been in the back of everybody’s mind: “Scott, last year we won SG of the Year – what could we do to get better?”

Sadowski said that he acknowledges that many areas need improvement and that SG has been successful in most of these adjustments throughout the semester. These improvements have been made both internally and externally.

According to Sadowski, among the internal accomplishments is an increase in enthusiasm and efficiency in SG Cabinet. SG also recently held a retreat that gave SG representatives an opportunity to have fun and develop project ideas in an informal and entertaining setting.

Sadowski said that external projects have been successful, thanks to the help of the Executive Board, and promised that students will be seeing improvements in both student life and academics.

Some of these improvements include:

I Ibis Ride operating on Thursday Nights beginning in the spring

I Introducing a sushi bar in the Hurricane food court

I Working on extended campus shuttle service to include the Flipse building

I Extending Richter Library to 24 hours during final exams

I Working closely with administration in the preliminary designs for a new UC

I Finalizing proposals for a free shuttle from campus to Miami International Airport for holiday breaks

I Renovated seating outside of Stanford Residential College as well as renovations to the Hecht/Stanford Dining Hall

I Bringing the need for renovations to the Cox Science Center to the attention of the Board of Trustees

I Creating a medical school mentoring program that is unmatched by any other university

According to Sadowski, administration has commended SG on their great work.

Particularly, Sadowski mentioned that Mel Tenen, director of auxiliary services, has praised the Dining Services Advisory Board, explaining that students and their feedback have helped to improve Chartwells’ operations.

Sadowski says he hopes that SG will improve just as Chartwells has, with the help and support of the student body.

If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions for SG stop by their office in UC 214, call 305-284-3082 or email Scott Sadowski at ssadowski@umiami.edu.

Leigha Taber can be contacted at l.taber@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...