POLICE BEAT: Public Safety works to reduce unlocked doors

Safety Update of the Week:
The Public Safety Department has two active Continuous Improvement teams. One is working on nuisance alarms (sometimes referred to as false alarms). The other is exploring ways to reduce the number of doors left unlocked on campus. The goal of both of these teams is to ensure a safer campus. If doors are not left unsecured, it is more difficult to steal what is inside. Security alarm systems should be installed to maximize their effectiveness without wasting resources. They should also be operated in a way that minimizes police investigation time responding to nuisance alarms. The Fraternity Row Security plan was established to increase personal safety in the Fraternity Row area of campus. Extra security and police are deployed during the nighttime hours.

Pick up the paper every Friday to read the Public Safety call log and learn ways to protect yourself and your belongings.

WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 22

10:08 a.m. 1239 Dickinson Dr. Burglary
3:05 p.m. 5665 Ponce de Leon Burglary

THURSDAY OCTOBER 23

11:58 a.m. 1231 Dickinson Dr. Harassing Phone Calls
5:28 p.m. 1252 Memorial Dr. Petit Theft
6:38 p.m. 5100 Brunson Dr. Hit and Run

FRIDAY OCTOBER 24

9:15 p.m. 6000 San Amaro Dr. Criminal Mischief

SATURDAY OCTOBER 25

9:19 a.m. 1507 Levante Ave. Burglary

MONDAY OCTOBER 27

1:51 p.m. 5800 San Amaro Dr. Burglary
2:52 p.m. 1239 Dickinson Dr. Theft
3:30 p.m. 5200 Ponce de Leon Burglary/ Vehicle
4:58 p.m. 5200 Ponce de Leon Burglary/ Vehicle
6:02 p.m. 1111 Memorial Dr. Burglary/ Vehicle

TUESDAY OCTOBER 28

2:24 p.m. 1231 Dickinson Dr. Theft

The Hurricane is currently working to improve Police Beat by working with Coral Gables Police Department.
For more information on crimes and crime prevention, contact Public Safety at 284-6666.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...