POLICE BEAT: Public Safety works to reduce unlocked doors

Safety Update of the Week:
The Public Safety Department has two active Continuous Improvement teams. One is working on nuisance alarms (sometimes referred to as false alarms). The other is exploring ways to reduce the number of doors left unlocked on campus. The goal of both of these teams is to ensure a safer campus. If doors are not left unsecured, it is more difficult to steal what is inside. Security alarm systems should be installed to maximize their effectiveness without wasting resources. They should also be operated in a way that minimizes police investigation time responding to nuisance alarms. The Fraternity Row Security plan was established to increase personal safety in the Fraternity Row area of campus. Extra security and police are deployed during the nighttime hours.

Pick up the paper every Friday to read the Public Safety call log and learn ways to protect yourself and your belongings.

10:08 a.m. 1239 Dickinson Dr. Burglary
3:05 p.m. 5665 Ponce de Leon Burglary

11:58 a.m. 1231 Dickinson Dr. Harassing Phone Calls
5:28 p.m. 1252 Memorial Dr. Petit Theft
6:38 p.m. 5100 Brunson Dr. Hit and Run

9:15 p.m. 6000 San Amaro Dr. Criminal Mischief

9:19 a.m. 1507 Levante Ave. Burglary

1:51 p.m. 5800 San Amaro Dr. Burglary
2:52 p.m. 1239 Dickinson Dr. Theft
3:30 p.m. 5200 Ponce de Leon Burglary/ Vehicle
4:58 p.m. 5200 Ponce de Leon Burglary/ Vehicle
6:02 p.m. 1111 Memorial Dr. Burglary/ Vehicle

2:24 p.m. 1231 Dickinson Dr. Theft

The Hurricane is currently working to improve Police Beat by working with Coral Gables Police Department.
For more information on crimes and crime prevention, contact Public Safety at 284-6666.

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...