POLICE BEAT: Public Safety works to reduce unlocked doors

Safety Update of the Week:
The Public Safety Department has two active Continuous Improvement teams. One is working on nuisance alarms (sometimes referred to as false alarms). The other is exploring ways to reduce the number of doors left unlocked on campus. The goal of both of these teams is to ensure a safer campus. If doors are not left unsecured, it is more difficult to steal what is inside. Security alarm systems should be installed to maximize their effectiveness without wasting resources. They should also be operated in a way that minimizes police investigation time responding to nuisance alarms. The Fraternity Row Security plan was established to increase personal safety in the Fraternity Row area of campus. Extra security and police are deployed during the nighttime hours.

Pick up the paper every Friday to read the Public Safety call log and learn ways to protect yourself and your belongings.

WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 22

10:08 a.m. 1239 Dickinson Dr. Burglary
3:05 p.m. 5665 Ponce de Leon Burglary

THURSDAY OCTOBER 23

11:58 a.m. 1231 Dickinson Dr. Harassing Phone Calls
5:28 p.m. 1252 Memorial Dr. Petit Theft
6:38 p.m. 5100 Brunson Dr. Hit and Run

FRIDAY OCTOBER 24

9:15 p.m. 6000 San Amaro Dr. Criminal Mischief

SATURDAY OCTOBER 25

9:19 a.m. 1507 Levante Ave. Burglary

MONDAY OCTOBER 27

1:51 p.m. 5800 San Amaro Dr. Burglary
2:52 p.m. 1239 Dickinson Dr. Theft
3:30 p.m. 5200 Ponce de Leon Burglary/ Vehicle
4:58 p.m. 5200 Ponce de Leon Burglary/ Vehicle
6:02 p.m. 1111 Memorial Dr. Burglary/ Vehicle

TUESDAY OCTOBER 28

2:24 p.m. 1231 Dickinson Dr. Theft

The Hurricane is currently working to improve Police Beat by working with Coral Gables Police Department.
For more information on crimes and crime prevention, contact Public Safety at 284-6666.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...