NEWS BRIEFS

UM hosts Mock Trial tournament, wins third

The UM Mock Trial Committee recently hosted an invitational tournament for Mock Trial. Twelve teams participated in competition from six different schools: UM, the Citadel, Georgia Institute of Technology, Kennesaw State University, Howard University and University of West Florida. The competition ended with an awards ceremony and speech by Janet Reno. Awards were given to the top three teams, the top five individual attorney performances and the top five individual witness performances.
The top 3 teams were Georgia Tech’s team No. 1 in third place, UM’s team No. 1 in second and Howard University in first. Howard University was national runner-up last year for Mock Trial competition.
Several members from UM received individual performance awards:
Tasha St. Louis from UM’s team No. 3 for outstanding witness performance
Jillian Bandes from UM’s team No. 1 for outstanding witness performance
David Sobel from UM’s team No. 2 for outstanding attorney performance
Don Donelson from UM’s team No. 1 for outstanding attorney performance

Ibis Yearbook photo shoot ends today

The Ibis Yearbook will be taking underclassmen photos from 9 to 11 a.m. and senior portraits from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Seniors are urged to make appointments at www.mcgrathstudios.com, password ibis. Senior sitting fee is $20.

UM Alternative Spring Break needs you

Make one week last a lifetime! Are you interested in making the world a better place this Spring Break? If so, then Alternative Spring Break is for you! Spend a week volunteering with issues such as HIV/AIDS, poverty, the environment, children and many more! Prices range from $150 to $350 and include food, lodging and airfare for the entire week. Applications are due Nov. 7 and are available at UC 240 or at www.miami.edu/studorgs/UMAB.

Busta Rhymes at UM

Busta Rhymes is performing live at the Convocation Center, Nov. 13 at 8 p.m. Also performing is Joe Budden. Bringing the heat to this hip-hop and reggae event are Dancehall Reggae sensation Cecile Plus, Liberator and Louie Rankin. Hosted by funnyman Frantz, from Def Comedy Jam and Bet’s Comic View. Tickets are on sale now, and with a UM Student ID students save money, only at the Convocation Center box office. Don’t miss your chance to see one of the biggest acts in hip-hop today. For more information call 305-284-8686 or visit http://www.umconvocationcenter.com.

Two new members join Board of Trustees

The University of Miami Board of Trustees has announced two new members: Paul J. Cejas, CEO of PLC Investments Inc., and Steven J. Saiontz, Chairman of Union Bank of Florida. The Board is responsible for governing UM.
Cejas served as Ambassador to Belgium under President Clinton. In addition to serving as CEO of PLC Investments Inc., a family-owned company that manages investments in real estate, healthcare and venture capital projects, Cejas, who received his bachelor’s degree from UM, is the former founder, chairman and CEO of CareFlorida Health Systems Inc. During his leadership, it was the largest Hispanic-owned healthcare company in the country. Cejas once served as chairman of the Dade County School Board and is a former vice chairman of the Board of Trustees of Florida International University, where the School of Architecture building is named in his honor. Cejas and his wife reside in Miami Beach. They have four children, and daughter Helene is a student at UM.
Saiontz, who received his M.B.A. from UM in 1984, is the former CEO and director of LNR Property Corp., a commercial real estate finance, investment and management company. Prior to joining Lennar, he worked for Southeast Bank. Sainotz is the son-in-law of the late UM Trustee Leonard Miller. He and his wife Leslie, owner of the children’s clothing stores Kidding Around, Running Around and Kidding Around, Too, and their three children reside in Miami.

‘Violet’ plays at UM

The Department of Theater Arts rolls out the red carpet for Violet, a toe-tapping musical journey of hope and healing. Violet is the story of a severely disfigured young woman who travels by bus across the South in 1964 to be healed by a TV evangelist. This contemporary score is rich with gospel, rock, country and rhythm and blues. Violet runs Nov. 13-22.
The production will be directed by Michael McElroy, who received a Drama Desk nomination for his performance in the original New York production of Violet. McElroy is working with UM theatre arts majors in his directorial debut.
Be sure to catch Violet on Friday, Nov. 14, as part of a special UM Homecoming celebration, which will include fireworks around the lake adjacent to the theatre. The show begins at 9:30 p.m.
To purchase tickets or for more information call the box office Monday through Friday between 12 and 5 p.m. at 305-284-3355, or log on to www.miami.edu/ring.

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...