NEWS BRIEFS

Ibis Ride extended on Halloween

Student Government recently passed legislation to extend Ibis Ride hours on Halloween from 8 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. through 5 a.m. Student government will fund the extended hours. According to Vance Aloupis, Junior Class Senator, SG wants the student body know that they are looking out for everyone’s safety.

Yearbook photos shoot this week

The Ibis Yearbook will be taking underclassmen photos from 9 to 11 a.m. and senior portraits from 11a.m. to 6 p.m. Oct. 27 through 31. Seniors are urged to make appointments at www.mcgrathstudios.com, password ibis. Senior sitting fee is $20. Organization photos are scheduled Oct. 27 through 30 from 6 to 11 p.m. by appointment only. To schedule an appointment contact ibiseditor@hotmail.com.

Orientation Coordinators wanted

Were you an Orientation Assistant last year? Do you feel you are a dynamic, energetic leader? Do you want to become more involved with the Orientation program? Applications are now being accepted for Orientation Coordinators. OCs work with the Orientation Assistants during Fall Orientation and are directly responsible for managing the Orientation program. Applications are available in UC 236 and are due on Oct. 31 at noon. For more information, please call 305-284-5646.
Convocation hosts Busta Rhymes

Busta Rhymes is performing live at the Convocation Center, Thursday Nov. 13 at 8 p.m. Also performing is Joe Budden. Bringing the heat of this mix of hip-hop and reggae event is dancehall reggae sensation Cecile Plus, Liberator and Louie Rankin. Hosted by funny man Frantz, from Def Comedy Jam and BET’s Comic View. Tickets are on sale now, and students can save money with a UM Student ID, only at the Convocation Center box office. Don’t miss your chance to see one of the biggest acts in hip-hop. For more information call 305-284-8686 or visit http://www.umconvocationcenter.com.

‘Violet’ the musical plays at UM

The Department of Theatre Arts rolls out the red carpet for Violet, a toe-tapping musical journey of hope and healing. Violet is the story of a severely disfigured young woman who travels by bus across the South in 1964 to be healed by a TV evangelist. This contemporary score is rich with gospel, rock, country and rhythm and blues. Violet runs Nov. 13 through 22. The production will be directed by Michael McElroy, who received a Drama Desk nomination for his performance in the original New York production of Violet. McElroy is working with UM theatre arts majors in his directorial debut.
Be sure to catch Violet from Nov. 13through 22. On Friday, Nov. 14, as part of a special UM Homecoming celebration, which will include fireworks around the lake adjacent to the theatre, the show begins at 9:30 PM. To purchase tickets or for more information call the box office Monday through Friday between 12 and 5 p.m. at 305-284-3355, or log on to www.miami.edu/ring.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...