AEPi national fraternity closes its chapter at UM

The Alpha Epsilon Pi [AEPi] Fraternity’s international board of directors voted to immediately cease active chapter operations of its Lambda Deuteron Chapter at UM, effective Oct. 22.

In taking this action, Alpha Epsilon Pi transferred all undergraduate members to alumni status and placed the chapter’s charter on dormant status, indicative of the international organization’s intent to reorganize the chapter with the concurrence of the University.

The international board of directors took this action against the chapter for violations of fraternity and University policies.

This action was taken by the fraternity with the understanding and cooperation of UM.

“The University of Miami supports the decision by the national board of directors of the Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity to close its chapter at the University of Miami,” Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president for student affairs, said. “This decision was a difficult one, but it was made following repeated violations of the organization’s and the University’s policies and procedures.”

According to fraternity officials, when the chapter was alleged to have violated fraternity policies, Executive Vice President Sidney N. Dunn initiated an investigation and reported recommendations for possible responses to the board of directors and UM administrators.

The board determined that ceasing chapter operations for a period of time and reorganizing in the future was the correct response.

According to Dunn, it is the board’s intent to demonstrate the Fraternity’s commitment to ensuring that its members understand and comply with its policies, rules and regulations as well as ensuring the long term goal of remaining a part of the UM community.

“It is certainly my hope that following a period of reflection and reorganization, the Lambda Deuteron chapter of AEPi will be re-colonized in the future and will provide valuable contributions and leadership to our campus community,” Whitely said.

For more information, contact Dean Greg Singleton at 305-284-5353.

The Miami Hurricane will continue to follow the reorganizing efforts of the fraternity as details become available.

Jorge Arauz can be contacted at um_newspaper@yahoo.com.

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...