WEAPONS OF MASS DECEPTION

Opinion Editor

These two media critics and public-interest reporters are still very angry about the Bush administration’s propaganda war following September 11th. So angry that they published this book to help American citizen-consumers learn how to be “better spin detectors.”

Their argument: behind a lot of what the media tells us concerning our own government and its foreign affairs are PR specialists, and thus, not the truth. These spin-doctors control the massive and crucial flow of information through the White House, and thereby are accountable for the propaganda, distortions, and other PR deceptions that made it oh-so-easy for King George to get his blank check for Iraq.

Rampton and Stauber go through the details: they explain the truth hidden by every headline, news show, and press conference to expose the genuine intentions of Bush’s calculated, hard-hitting and ultimately successful PR campaign to sell War in Iraq and the Evils of Saddam Hussein. “War is sell,” and the fall of Baghdad on 4-9-03 proved that an administration with an objective (read: “grudge”) and pant-loads of propaganda and misinformation could sell Americans anything.

You’ll see in this book how Bush’s cronies hired top advertising executives (the same ones that got the Kuwaitis to wave small U.S. flags upon the liberation of Kuwait City) to create the product “Operation: Iraqi Freedom,” which, of course, no red-blooded, FOX-News-watching American could resist.

You’ll see how the Iraqi National Congress, an “opposition group” to Saddam’s government, was actually created by the Pentagon through another P.R. firm. You’ll see how the U.S. news media went along for the ride, committing self-censorship and promoting Bush administration ideals. And in the chapter on doublespeak you’ll come to understand how “shock and awe” truly became something shocking and awful.

Yeah, I know that this book contains a lot of anti-Bush, anti-Republican, anti-war bias, but that’s what made it fun to read. Rampton and Stauber are Michael Moore-wannabes and definitely not Department of Homeland Security-approved. And lots of what they interpret could easily be taken the opposite way. But if the Weapons of Mass Destruction are as fabricated as they appear to be, then what does it matter about what two out-of-work PR spin monitors think about the Weapons of Mass Deception?

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...