UN Day’s storybook promises a cultural experience

The students, faculty and administration at UM will be witness to a real-life storybook on campus in observation of the Council of International Students and Organizations’ [COISO] UN Day celebration, Oct 22.

In accordance with the national theme of literacy for other UN programs, COISO has chosen to make this year’s UN Day a Cultural Storybook.

But unlike most storybooks, this one will have numerous authors and span the entire world as its setting.

Each of COISO’s 30 organizations will produce one page of Sebastian’s Travels, a storybook tracking the journey of our mascot across the world.

The pages of the storybook will be laid out for all to see, along with a cultural exhibition from many of the University’s cultural organizations.

“Since this is COISO’s first major event of the year, we want to showcase all of the organizations on campus. Hopefully students will find something they are interested in and become more involved in that organization,” Rasha Uthman, UN Day co-chair, said.

President Shalala and Sebastian the Ibis will be on hand for the opening of the event at noon, on the Green in front of Richter Library.

“It’s on the Green this year, which will definitely be a change from having it at the UC,” Aaron Carter, COISO vice president, said.

In years past, UN Day was entirely contained on the UC Patio.

The new site provides both size and accessibility, hopefully allowing more students to participate, said organizers.

Uthman believes that UN Day has something of interest for every UM student and should therefore take its place among the major events of the year.

“From food to clothing to dances to art, UN Day appeals to everyone,” Uthman said. “I want people to stop while they’re walking by the green and take a stroll through the storybook.”

Vivek Patel can be contacted at vivpatel2001@yahoo.com

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...