SPORTS BRIEFS

Men’s cross country
University of Miami junior Alex Brutvan finished second in a time of 26:04 to lead the Hurricanes’ men’s cross country team to a second-place finish at the 2003 Hatter Invitational in DeLand, FL.
Miami, which is ranked 12th in the South Region by the United States Cross Country Coaches Association, finished with 56 points. The University of Central Florida edged out the Hurricanes with 50 points.
Brutvan has been the Hurricanes’ top finisher at every event this season including a victory at the FIU Invitational. He has finished among the top-seven runners in four of five races this season.
Also running well for the Hurricanes was Tom Berry who continued his impressive freshman campaign taking fourth in a time of 26.45. Berry has three top-five finishes this season and has been Miami’s second best finisher at every meet.
The Hatter Invitational is the final tune-up for the Hurricanes before the Big East Cross Country Championships, October 31 in Van Cortland Park, NY.

Women’s cross country
University of Miami junior Marilyn Ruiz finished third in a time of 19:13 to lead the UM women’s cross country team to a victory at the Hatter Cross Country Classic in DeLand, FL.
Miami, which had recorded two second-place finishes in the season’s first three events, registered 50 points in recording its first victory of the season. The University of Central Florida took second with 55 points.
The Hurricanes had three runners finish in the top-6 including freshman Lindsay Rohrs, who placed fourth with a time of 19:14, and sophomore Melanie Schultz, who was sixth in a time of 19:18.
Miami returns to action on October 31 at the Big East Cross Country Championships in Van Cortland Park, NY.
Women’s Tennis
The University of Miami women’s tennis team won five-of-six singles matches in day two at the 2003 ITA Southern Regional Championships hosted by the University of Georgia in Athens, Ga.
No. 34 Megan Bradley the No. 1 seeded player in the A singles bracket defeated Sarah Suitor of Auburn in straight sets 6-3, 6-0. She improves to 9-1 on the fall season.
Mari Toro seeded No. 11 in the A bracket beat Nancy Peaden of Auburn 6-4, 6-1 in the second round.
Staci Stevens defeated Natalie Frazier of Georgia 4-6, 6-4, 6-3.
Newcomer Audrey Banada seeded No. 3 in the B bracket beat Nisrine Hajbane of Jacksonville 6-1, 6-1.
Sara Robbins beat Martina Janska of Auburn 6-2, 6-0 in the A consolation bracket.
Natalie Mikolich fell to Robin Stephenson of Alabama 6-2, 6-0.

Men’s Tennis
The Miami men’s tennis team wrapped up play at the 2003 ITA South Regional Championships co-hosted by the University of Memphis and the Racquet Club of Memphis.
Josh Cohen and Eric Hechtman teamed up to beat Michael Green and Joseph Jung of Alabama 9-7 in doubles play.
The duo fell to No. 5 Bo Hodge and John Isner of Georgia 8-3 in the round of 16.
No. 99 Cohen fell to No. 2 Hodge of Georgia 6-4, 6-3 in singles action.
John Hoyes II was defeated by Lee Walker of Memphis 6-4, 6-3 in singles play.
Tim Krebs and Colin Purcell fell to Miha Lisac and Jaime Rodriguez of Georgia State 8-6. The men’s tennis team will open the spring season hosting SMU Jan. 25 at Noon in Coral Gables, Fla.

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...