NEWS BRIEFS

Locks of Love seeks hair donations

Locks of Love is coming to Campus Nov. 5 and 6 sponsored by LINK and Myra & Company Spa and Salon. Locks of Love is a hair drive for children suffering from permanent hair loss. Appointments may be scheduled through our online event signup, but walk-ups are also accepted throughout the whole event. We will be cutting hair both days on the Rock from 10 a.m.1 p.m. Please visit www.locksoflove.org for more information and sign up for your appointment at www.miami.edu/studorgs/link or contact link.studorg@miami.edu for more information.
Donated hair is evaluated for its usefulness according to the following guidelines:
It must be at least 6 inches in length.
It must be bundled in a ponytail or a braid.
It must be free of hair damaged by chemical processing (no bleach, no recent perms. Dyed hair is okay, as long as it’s healthy. If you’re not sure, ask your stylist.).
This event will benefit Locks of Love, a not-for-profit organization that provides recipients with a custom, vacuum-fitted hairpiece made entirely from donated human hair. The vacuum fit is designed for children who have experienced a total loss of scalp hair and does not require the use of tape or glue. Most of the applicants suffer from an autoimmune condition called alopecia areata, for which there is no known cause or cure. Others suffer from severe burns or endured radiation treatment to the brain stem, in addition to many other dermatological conditions that result in permanent hair loss.

The organization, which began in 1997, has helped over 1000 children since its first year of operation. Thousands of bundles of donated hair arrive from around the country as a result of national publicity Locks of Love receives in newspapers, magazines and television programs. Children comprise over 80 percent of the donors, making this a charity where children have an opportunity to help children.

SART is there to listen, 24/7

More than 85 percent of sexual assaults involve acquaintances or friends. Further, 71 percent of all sexual assaults are planned. Researchers link close to 90 percent of all sexual assaults to substances. SART (Sexual Assault Response Team) is the campus resource for relationship violence information. If you or a friend needs more information about sexual assaults, dating violence, or stalking, call SART’s 24-hour hotline at 305-798-6666.

Yearbook taking photos next week

The Ibis Yearbook will be taking underclassmen photos from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and senior portraits from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Oct. 27 through Oct. 31. Seniors are urged to make appointments at www.mcgrathstudios.com password ibis. Senior sitting fee is $20. Furthermore, organization photos are scheduled Oct. 27 through 30 from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. by appointment only. To schedule an appointment contact ibiseditor@hotmail.com.

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...