Balanced attack leads to ‘Canes victory

The Hurricanes’ running game was extremely successful against the Owls. Jarrett Payton set a new career high for rushing yards and enjoyed his first 100-yard rushing effort of his career. Payton finished with 115 yards on 16 carries and scored two touchdowns. Payton’s two-touchdown performance was the first multi-touchdown game of his UM career. The senior tailback had 79 rushing yards on nine carries in the first quarter, and those 79 yards out gained the entire Temple team 79 to 51 in that frame.

Tyrone Moss also had a breakout performance, with a career high 135 yards on 15 carries. Moss only had 67 yards rushing this season entering the game and his 36-yard run was the longest of his short career.

The touchdown run by Jason Geathers was his first rushing touchdown since an 11-yard TD against Florida State last season.

Overall, the ‘Canes’ rushing attack exploded for a season high 342 yards, shattering the previous season high of 223 yards against East Carolina. Payton and Moss both had 100-yard rushing days, becoming the first duo to accomplish that feat since Clinton Portis and Frank Gore did it against Syracuse on November 17, 2001.

Special Teams Trickery

The fake punt that DJ Williams ran 61 yards for a touchdown was Miami’s first fake punt of the season and their second longest play of the year. It was also their longest touchdown run of the season. The special teams touchdown was the ‘Canes’ ninth non-offensive touchdown of the year.

Berlin Plays Sharp

Brock Berlin got off to a fast start, completing his first five passes for 59 yards, and then never looked back. Berlin did not throw an official incomplete pass until the second quarter and ended the day completing 16 of 26 passes for 187 yards and two touchdowns. Berlin was relieved by Derrick Crudup in the third quarter. Berlin did not throw an interception for the first time all season.

Penalties Hurt ‘Canes again

Penalties continue to plague the Hurricanes, as they committed 12 penalties for 102 yards. The six holding penalties assessed on Miami was a season high. Overall, there were 21 penalties between the two teams for over 150 yards in a flag-happy afternoon.

Balanced Offense

Miami’s offensive strategy is based on providing a balanced attack and they achieved perfection in that area in the first half. The ‘Canes ended the first half with 284 yards of total offense, with 142 yards rushing and 142 yards passing. Also, the offense scored on their first four possessions of the game, building up a 24-7 lead. It was the first time all season that the offense opened the game with consecutive scoring drives. The ‘Canes also set a season high for total offense with 601 yards and could have scored on their first five possessions if not for a missed 39-yard field goal.

Miscellaneous

With the victory over Temple, the Hurricanes improve to 14-0 all-time on ESPN Regional Television, which also includes a 47-15 win over the Owls in 1997. The ‘Canes last win on ESPN Regional TV was a 42-17 victory over Rutgers last season…Jonathan Vilma’s fumble recovery in the first half that led to a field goal was his first of the season. Vilma and DJ Williams were both named to the Butkus Award semi-finalist list earlier in the week…The three-yard touchdown reception by Kevin Everett was his first touchdown catch as a Hurricane. Everett had two catches for nine yards on the day…The 69-yard touchdown run by Temple running back Jamil Porter was the longest running play allowed by UM this year. It exceeded the 65-yard scamper by Florida’s DeShaun Wynn on September 6th and was the longest run the ‘Canes have allowed since Cedric Houston of Tennessee broke off a 74-yard run on November 9, 2002…Punter Brian Monroe booted a 56-yard punt late in the second quarter, which was his longest punt as a Hurricane. His previous long was a 47-yarder against West Virginia…The attendance for the game was 49, 144.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...