Isn’t she lovely?

LaTasha Smith, a Miss UM hopeful, is the winner of the Diamond Scholarship Pageant held this week by the Iota Chi Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. in the Storer Auditorium. The pageant was held in appreciation of women of color who continue to strive toward their future.

Alexis Greene was second runner-up and Courtne Anderson was first runner-up.

The majors of contestants ranged from education to international finance.

The masters of ceremonies were Chris Clark and Corey Neal, both “Kappas” and juniors at UM.

“We encourage scholarship,” Clark said. “We want minority women not to just be accepted in college, but to excel.”

In the opening scene, the contestants performed a lively dance routine to “I Like the Way You Move” by Big Boi of the rap group Outkast.

The first area of competition was “Business Attire.” Styles ranged from a white pantsuit with a black camisole and black stilettos to a beige skirt suit, with a beige and black blouse.

Between segments, while the contestants changed into their next section’s outfit, there were several performances exemplifying the talent and contribution of women in general.

Leah Brown, one of the contestants, performed her own version of “Amazing Grace,” and the Egami Step Team performed intricate step routines with rhythm and style while promoting AIDS awareness and the consequences of sex.

The KAOS hip-hop dance group performed a routine to a medley of songs.

The entertainment was followed by the swimwear and talent competitions.

The final section of the show was the evening attire and question session. Each contestant was asked a different question.

The tension mounted while the audience waited for the results, but Clark lightened the mood by conversing with the audience and dancing on stage.

“I was very excited that I won, but I knew I couldn’t have done it without the help and support of my friends – without their help, I wouldn’t have made it,” Smith said.

Smith was awarded a $500 scholarship.

Fizaa Dosani can be contacted at f.dosani@miami.edu.

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...