Isn’t she lovely?

LaTasha Smith, a Miss UM hopeful, is the winner of the Diamond Scholarship Pageant held this week by the Iota Chi Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. in the Storer Auditorium. The pageant was held in appreciation of women of color who continue to strive toward their future.

Alexis Greene was second runner-up and Courtne Anderson was first runner-up.

The majors of contestants ranged from education to international finance.

The masters of ceremonies were Chris Clark and Corey Neal, both “Kappas” and juniors at UM.

“We encourage scholarship,” Clark said. “We want minority women not to just be accepted in college, but to excel.”

In the opening scene, the contestants performed a lively dance routine to “I Like the Way You Move” by Big Boi of the rap group Outkast.

The first area of competition was “Business Attire.” Styles ranged from a white pantsuit with a black camisole and black stilettos to a beige skirt suit, with a beige and black blouse.

Between segments, while the contestants changed into their next section’s outfit, there were several performances exemplifying the talent and contribution of women in general.

Leah Brown, one of the contestants, performed her own version of “Amazing Grace,” and the Egami Step Team performed intricate step routines with rhythm and style while promoting AIDS awareness and the consequences of sex.

The KAOS hip-hop dance group performed a routine to a medley of songs.

The entertainment was followed by the swimwear and talent competitions.

The final section of the show was the evening attire and question session. Each contestant was asked a different question.

The tension mounted while the audience waited for the results, but Clark lightened the mood by conversing with the audience and dancing on stage.

“I was very excited that I won, but I knew I couldn’t have done it without the help and support of my friends – without their help, I wouldn’t have made it,” Smith said.

Smith was awarded a $500 scholarship.

Fizaa Dosani can be contacted at f.dosani@miami.edu.

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...