HURRICANE HEALTHWATCH

Dear Hurricane,

I’m a freshman and lately I’ve noticed I am really, really, really stressed. The stress seems to come in waves, sometimes like a tsunami. When it hits, I don’t feel like partying, I don’t feel like kissing my boyfriend and I don’t feel like hearing news from back home at the farm. I just want to sleep. Fortunately, after a few days, I’m de-stressed. But still, sometimes I wish I had gone to school closer to home. I’m not involved here and my only good friend is my roommate: a stress in and of itself.

Sincerely,

Stressed

Dear Stressed,

The feelings you are experiencing are completely normal, especially for an incoming freshman. Many students will experience early symptoms of depression, anxiety, eating disorders and alcohol abuse during their first semester of college. A condition such as depression, for example, has a wide range of symptoms. Even if you don’t feel sad, you still may be experiencing some depression. Common symptoms of depression, in addition to sadness, include sleep disturbances, an anxious or “empty” mood and a loss of interest or pleasure in ordinary activities – ranging from schoolwork to sex to eating disturbances. It may result in decreased energy, difficulty concentrating and other physical symptoms. Thoughts of death or suicide are also common.

Many students suffering from these symptoms opt to visit a counselor. Luckily, UM has an excellent Counseling Center with counselors who will help you feel better by sorting out feelings or problems you are experiencing. If you don’t feel comfortable talking one-on-one, there are group therapy sessions and workshops available.
Additionally, school involvement is another approach to controlling depression. Participating in one of UM’s 200 registered student organizations, programming boards or intramural/club sports is a great way to ease feelings of loneliness and depression. Also, talk to your professors about involvement in your major, [e.g., student groups, possible research projects, various activities, etc.]. Remember, everyone who has gone to college has probably experienced many of the feelings you are dealing with at some point.
Overall, think positively, smile and have fun. Try turning everything that is negative in your life into a positive.
For information about seeing a counselor or getting involved in a workshop, call 305-284-5511.
If you have a problem you would like Hurricane Health Watch to help you with, contact um_newspaper@yahoo.com.

Sincerely,

Ashley Tift

Ashley Tift is a senior majoring in psychology. She is also a member of C.O.P.E [Counseling Outreach Peer Education], the Counseling Center’s peer education and outreach organization.

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...